Engineered wood with ufh or karndean

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a wet ufh system with an asphalt top that was uneven has now been screeded and is fairly level. I've been reading and reading about engineered wood but read a few conflicting bits about floor temps and gluing the floor down for conductivity as a pose to using underlay. Also I really want to make sure the ufh works well I've tried putting a single board into bare floor and the wood just doesn't not warm up... Does anyone have experience of this .. does the wood heat up well and hold heat?

If it really is a risk I'll just use karndean again as it conducts heat really well

Sponsored Links
Whatever type and brand of flooring you finally select - before doing anything else first call the Mfr's Tech dept for advice: explain the construction of the present floor & send them pics.

How hot do you expect your underfloor to be? In a well insulated house that has been meticulously draft proofed, you're probably looking at a surface temp of your floor between 22 and 26 degrees. As your body is at 37, the floor will never feel like it has "warmed up", it will just feel "not that cold"

If, of course, your house is poorly insulated and leaks air like a sieve, then you'll have to run your UFH at higher temperatures. I don't doubt this will have all sorts of implications, including poor health for you, serious damage to your wallet and ruining floor finishes..

Side note, my karndean(polyflor) states a maximum of 29 degrees surface temp for UFH. While you may find some manufacturers allow a little higher, I have strong doubts you'll find any manufacturer advising you run your UFH at a temperature a human would perceive as "warm".

Sponsored Links
My bathrooms kitchen utility room all feel lovely and warm to touch as did the karndean I've just removed it's only the carpeted rooms where you would be hard pressed to know there is a heat source beneath them.. That's another story, but when it's the only source of heat in the house if it was as low as 22 degrees in here I'd be freezing. I like my house warm 23 all winter I hate the cold. As the wood is going in the dining room I'm going to give it a go it doesn't matter so much in that room but if it works well ill move on and do other rooms in it also. I've spoke to manufacturers and they said it's fine.. Thanks for the tip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back