Enlarging Hole in Granite Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

We have an old Miele KM418 induction hob that has failed. I thought, just replace it with another unit... They don't make that model anymore and the hole is slightly too small for current models!

Our hole is currently 267 x 503 an it needs to be 272 (see image).
GraniteHole.jpg

Any advice on how I should approach this? I can take the top outside (although it's very heavy).

My approach currently would be to mark it out with masking tape and using an angle grinder with a new diamond blade gently cut the 5mm out from the top surface downwards.

Any advise greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes , it will work. I've done granite bar tops in pubs in situ in exactly that way several times over the years. It is dusty but it is probably less risky to do the job with the top I place (it is normal to bed granite tops onto silicone making them hard to remove) and with a vacuum hose wielding assistant. Be careful not to over cut

Thanks Job & Knock. Any advise on the angle grinder blade I have both 115mm and 230mm grinders. Would you use the smaller one? and would you buy an expensive blade or will a cheapish one do the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back