EPDM roof on leanto conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace poly roof and did wonder about having a pitched felt roof or epdm, rather than other types of solid roofs. I was chatting to a chippie mate who said he could construct the timber frame for the roof, then I could either get torch on felt or epdm, then insulate and board out the internal.

Just wondered if this was a feasible option? After all, felt or epdm would just be the alternative covering to tiles, and other solid roof systems such as guardian, but without the ridiculous price tag.

Sponsored Links
Just what I was contemplating too. Lets hope there's someone who's done it;)

It sounds like ventilation could be a issue, have you looked at decra roof tiles they are light weight and would be a good option.

I haven't done this to a conservatory but I have built an EPDM warm flat roof. If you're doing it yourself, EPDM is the easiest and quickest method, in my opinion.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I was doing some research last night, warm roof being the preferred method, and my only concern would be the weight of the roof... ok on the wall side, but what about load on the upvc front to the building? You cant see from these (dark) images, but there is a dwarf wall perhaps 3ft or all around, with windows (and door) filling all 3 sides. Room is about 4m wide by 3.5m deep.

IMG_20160510_205729.jpg IMG_20160510_205748.jpg IMG_20160510_205819.jpg IMG_20160510_205828.jpg IMG_20160510_205839.jpg IMG_20160510_205849.jpg

A proper warm roof has joists and two lots of OSB; that's quite some weight. You might be better off replacing the whole thing with a timber structure. Though then Building Regulations would apply. Though arguably you're making it into a non-exempt conservatory by adding an opaque roof. I'll leave this thread to proper builders now before I get shot down ;)

Cheers
Richard

Looking at what some of the suppliers fit, i.e, the lightweight tiled roofing systems, they seem to have a lightweight aluminium frame, upon which they build a deck to support the insulation and tiles... I cant seem to find these to buy for a diy build.

There must be timber alternative solutions available that would be a much more lightweight option...

Just had a thought ........Stramit board . If it's still going - Proper builders don't laugh please.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back