EPDM Rubber roofing on my extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is EPDM rubber roofing membrane as good as it sounds? Ive been looking at the following website....

http://www.diy-flat-roof.com/2.html

As my extention roof is leaking, Im thinking of changing its pitched roof to a flat roof (and a new bay window fitted) and laying either felt or EPDM.

In my unprofessional opinion my pitched roof doesnt look steep enough (and the tiles arent staggered).

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/031.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/015.jpg

Do any of you recommend this type of roofing?

Sponsored Links
no its not got enough pitch on it for those tiles!.

the tiles dont have to be staggered as they are interlocking with water channels. though i always stagger mine.

epdm, or built up felt roofing, both systems have been hotly debated on this forum in the last few weeks. personally i would go for the built up method, though i am biased to that system as its the one i always use.
i have never used epdm.

Thanks for the quick reply.

At the risk of sounding dumb, what do you mean exactly by 'built up felt'?

Ive been told by neighours that the previous occupants of my house originally had a flat felt roof but it leaked. Instead of a proper repair they simply had a pitched roof built over the top of the flat roof.

The pitch cant go any higher because of the bay window cill, which is why Im thinking of having the pitched roof removed, ripping out the original felt roof underneath, making good any timber and covering with felt or EPDM.

To complicate things further, the bay that is hidden by the roof is tiled like my neighbours bay in this photo

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/0182.jpg

The roof is about 6m x 3m and Im a little apprehensive about getting the job done. I wont know what nightmares await once the tiles have been removed!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, some useful reading there.

Apart from this;

The technique is generally used for small to medium sized roofs; and flat roof repair where the new material must be fused with the old to ensure total lap security or where access to the roof is difficult. The application is unsuitable for direct bonding to timber and wood based decks or lightweight polyester base materials. Because direct heat is applied to the roof to seal the felt considerable precautions against fire are required, and the method is unsuitable close to flammable materials.

Its cobblers. :LOL:

Apart from this;

Quote:
The technique is generally used for small to medium sized roofs; and flat roof repair where the new material must be fused with the old to ensure total lap security or where access to the roof is difficult. The application is unsuitable for direct bonding to timber and wood based decks or lightweight polyester base materials. Because direct heat is applied to the roof to seal the felt considerable precautions against fire are required, and the method is unsuitable close to flammable materials.

yes...............bit of dodgy info there.

Doesnt sound like there are many on here with experiences of EPDM roofing.

Thanks for those replies though :)

Search for my post with my recent experience of EPDM.

I've specified it for a while with no reported problems from clients. I know of some roofs where the EPDM has been on for many years with no problems

I recently used it on my extension and it was very easy to fit, and cheaper than a felt equivalent

There is no reason to doubt that EPDM will last at least as long as a felt roof would and a likelihood that it will last longer

War Pig - had EPDM installed on my new flat roof dormer last summer following adivce given by someone on this Forum. I didn't do it myself - our builder did it with no problems despite the fact he'd never installed it before. The suppliers i bought it from said they regularly sell it to DIYers as it is so easy to install no experience is needed, they told me they have a telephone support line you can call if you need anyhelp but they've never had any problems with people starting to install it and being unable to do it. So from an installation point of view it seems easy enough. Like i said, ours has only been on since last June but we've had some horrendous weather since then and no problems to date! Only time will tell as to how many years it will last though!

Thanks Andrew, can you remember which supplier you got yours from, as I dont live a million miles away from you.

Cheers

Might wait until Spring and see if contractors quotes are any cheaper, what with the recession and all...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back