Erbauer 18v combi drill problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had this drill for a few years now and it really has been a good buy.

However, both the batteries it came with are now flat and the charger will not charge them (green light only, comes on - no red charge light).

I am of the opinion that it must be the charger that is faulty (C1820A002) as I don't think both batteries would pack in at the same time.

I do keep it all in my unheated workshop, in a cupboard, but I don't think it would have got cold enough to destroy the batteries.

Any opinions please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with cheapo batteries and a charger. It will more than likely be the batteries that are faulty. I have 4 batteries and only two will charge up now. ;) ;)

Thanks for that - yes, cheap stuff normally doesn't last as long as good quality items, but I would have hoped for a longer life of both batteries.

I suppose what I need is someone nearby (Bedford) with same charger that is known to work - then I can see if that will charge my batteries. If not then I guess that would prove something one way or another.

hi, one of my makita batteries packed in over xmas, i accidentally left one at work over xmas for about two weeks, so im guessing it was the cold that did it.

sorted out a replacement free from makita but didnt end up needing it

took the battery home for the weekend, left it for a few days, perfect, it just needed heating up abit, you could try that, leave them in an aring cuboard or something for a few days, might work?

hope you fix em :)

Sponsored Links
how old are the batteries where they used regularly where they stored flat or charged

and yes between 10 and 30 preferably between 15 and 25% for charging

Bought bundle in case from Screwfix about 3 to 5 years ago (I think - a while ago anyway).

usage was intermittent - just DIY stuff as and when required.

Batteries would be in a semi-charged state when stored (ie, however last used left them).

Will fetch them into the heat and see if that works.

Is the charger 'clever' ? ie, does the charge only get applied when battery is plugged in? Just thinking I could measure the output with my meter to see if it is actually charging and it's my batteries that are dead.

your charger will give out about 20.something volts off load[no batteries inserted]

your batteries if not fully shot are likely to be on there last legs at maximum around 25% capacity

time for somthing like ryobi one plus where the all batteries fit all tools and spares are easily found
http://uk.ryobitools.eu/specific/formats/index.jsp

I have 18volt drill and charger light did not change to red when battery inserted?
so i took the charger apart and found a microswitch on pcb that switches when the battery terminals connect in charger.
the microswitch has a thin metal arm which i bent up right at the end to meet battery when inserted and charger works fine now..
i can only assume it originally had a rubber or plastic contact pad on the end which fell off or broke. But all is good,its worth a go!!! :D

i applaud your enginuity :D ;)
in general a battery will loose around 15-25% off its capacity every year if well looked after and used frequently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back