Erecting a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are currently in the process of selling our house.

Two years ago we split our main bedroom into two smaller rooms. A stud wall was erected and new doorway created.

There are some electrical sockets on the stud wall.

New light fittings were also installed.

New windows were fitted.

We have the FENSA certificate for the windows but do not seem to have any other paperwork regarding this work (don't think we got any)!

I'm now concerned what the buyers solicitors are going to want to look at in terms of this?

Like I say we only have the FENSA certificate? What else should we have? Where can I get it from?!

Thank you

Sponsored Links
With regards to the electrics you may have either needed an electrical certificate from a self certifying electrician or a certificate from Building Control depending upon exactly what you did. Some electrical works do not need this and there is not enough information provided to be able to determine this.

Assuming the fire escape of the existing layout was not compromised or made any worse then that is all that would have been required. Presumably each bedroom is still accessed off the hallway and you do not need to go through one bedroom to get to the other? :!:

So, assuming the buyers solicitor gets wind of your scandalous dirty dealings via a pointless survey or whatever then the buyers solicitor will probably ask the buyer to purchase an (pointless) indemnity insurance of which the cost (around £100) is passed on to the seller for the lack of electrical certification.

The indemnity is pointless because it does not insure against the cost of correcting any faulty works, it merely protects the buyer from any prosecution costs if the Local Authority decided to bring about any lawful action because of the lack of certification. Which they won't.

BTW who did the electrical works?

Many thanks for the reply.

An extra ceiling and wall light fitting was created in the second bedroom along with electrical sockets and light switches on the stud wall.

I guess if all that will be required is a pay out for an indemnity insurance policy then we can live with that!

Not quite as bad a problem as I first thought. Phew :)

Sponsored Links
If the electrical work was just extending existing sockets and lighting circuits then it was unlikely to be notifiable for building control. Perhaps one of the sparkies will correct this if I am wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back