error 554 sending e mail from outlook express

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time I try to send an e mail through outlook express using my Yahoo address it fails with error554. This has only started happening recently. My ISP is Orange. I have an Orange address that works fine. Can anyone advise please? :(

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for that link. I've done as it says (Outlook 2000) but I'm still getting the same message!
An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 Please check your SMTP server is set to smtp.orangehome.co.uk. Further help is available at http://help.orange.co.uk/sessionBegin.do?solutionId=kb4473', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F
Any further ideas please?

PS: I actually have Outlook Express 6 but the windows all seem the same as 2000.

What have you set your SMTP server to? It should be smtp.orangehome.co.uk rather than smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is set to that but always gives the error message for Yahoo.

calvert said:
Yes it is set to that but always gives the error message for Yahoo.

Try sending an email to Orange, with the error & ask them

Yes. I have the Yahoo address and the Orange address. Please forgive my ignorance, I'm used to working with spanners.

It's likely that you'll need to change the SMTP server to be the same for both accounts. Most ISPs now use authenticated SMTP to prevent spamming. Change the Yahoo SMTP server to be the same as the orange one, tick the My Server Requires Authentication box, click settngs and enter your Orange login details in the account and password boxes. Leave the POP3 servers as they are.

Many thanks. I did that, so now both addresses are sending fine from OE but It won't open mail addressed to Yahoo.Can you put the final piece of jigsaw in place for me please?

calvert said:
but It won't open mail addressed to Yahoo

What do you mean exactly? Do you get an error when you receive on the Yahoo account? What are the POP servers set to?

When I try to receive mail through OE I get this message: Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18.

Then it checks the orange address, which works.
The pop settings are as above and pop.mail.orange.co.uk

calvert said:
When I try to receive mail through OE I get this message: Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18.

Then it checks the orange address, which works.
The pop settings are as above and pop.mail.orange.co.uk

Check that you are using the correct POP3 server. Shouldn't it just be pop3.yahoo.co.uk?

I changed the server as you sugested. Now I am getting the followThe connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0Eing: Help!

Ok, my mistake on the POP server :oops: , however, it looks like they also use SSL for POP. Have a look at these instructions.

You might want to try using the Yahoo SMTP settings too (for the Yahoo account). They are using a secure SSL connection, so relaying may be permitted. Keep a note of the current settings, just in case

Sponsored Links
Back