Estimate to install new consumer unit + wire in shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologise in advance....... if I have posted this in the wrong place, I’m a newbie!

I would like a rough/estimate idea on how much it will cost to get the following works completed via a qualified electrician:

- Fit new consumer unit / remove old one (fit in same place)
- Wire in new 9.5kw shower

I would like to use the existing wiring (believe its only around 10 years old and appears in sound condition) and I have already done any necessary cable runs (shower).

Will I be covered by building regs with just a receipt or do I need to request any kind of certification on completion of works?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt response Holmslaw.

Forgot to mention that it’s only a three bed semi and I'm based in the East Midlands so hoping the price you quoted is for a Mansion in London, as I almost spat my tea out!

Thanks again :D

Sponsored Links
Showers can range in price from about £80-90 cheapos to £'think of a number' super flashy programmable jobbie - quite possibly a few hundred.

Check here for a few examples
http://www.showermania.co.uk/products.asp?cat=12

We can't tell whether the cable that is currently installed is ok to use for the shower you have in mind (it may well be, but without further info, its guesswork) Somebody (electrician) will have to spent their time verifying this.

How many fuses are contained in the box which is fitted at the moment?
Replacement CUs can cost as little as £50 for some low quality tat (which I won't install), but could easily cost over £100 just for the box and internal bits.

So in materials alone, you could be looking at between £130 to £500, thats before anyone has got a tool or tester out of the van. Then chuck in a day or twos work on top, the price soon goes up.

You could avoid using a registered spark, but given notification cost when dealing with the council directly, I doubt it will make it any cheaper for you, plus you then get the headache of DIYing the job.

I'm also in the east midlands, and depending on the variables above, Holmslaw's estimate might be a bit low or a bit high or spot on, all depends

I would like a rough/estimate idea on how much it will cost to get the following works completed via a qualified electrician:
You will get a better idea after a PIR is done.

- Fit new consumer unit / remove old one (fit in same place)
It is likely that the new box will be bigger and the old cables may not be long enough.
- Wire in new 9.5kw shower
I would like to use the existing wiring (believe its only around 10 years old and appears in sound condition) and I have already done any necessary cable runs (shower)
The price of the shower £120/£250 (supplied & fitted) but you will need to match the shower to the current carrying capacity of the cable .

Will I be covered by building regs with just a receipt or do I need to request any kind of certification on completion of works?
The electrician doing the work should sort that out for you as part of the price.

I have just completed a similar job in the North West - as well as CU and Shower it needed main protective bonding, several cables extending and three outside lights - £795 included PIR.

Hi mikhailfaradayski, I'm actually based in Derby as well and wondered if you would be interested in supplying me with a Quote?

Sorry my post wasnt clearer but I actually already have a new shower installed and fitted (triton 9.5kw) and new large 10mm 3core cable. So it just needs connecting via a competent person.

The cables that all lead the current CU box have plenty of slack so hoping it will be a straight forward install

Please can you send me a PM if you are interested?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back