Estimated cost to rebuild gable end?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! New to these forums!

We're first time buyers and have recently had a property purchase fall through due to a bad structural survey. We're now considering making an offer on another property and don't want a repeat of the first costly episode, so before we decide whether to make an offer could I get your view on a potential issue we've identified?

We notice that some properties in the same street have had their gable ends rebuilt above the roof line (the bricks and pointing look newer and different to the rest of the brickwork). It might be that the property we're looking at also needs to have this work done, which we assume is to rebuild the wall and install bracing. What would work such as this typically cost, how long would it take and how invasive is it?

I'm attaching a photo to give an idea, if that helps. The property was built in 1923 and is situated in the SouthWest.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 777
Sponsored Links
It will cost upwards of £2000 depending upon whether the bricks can be re-used which may in turn effect waste disposal costs.
A gang at say £400 p/day should be able to complete it in three days.
Scaffold with additional table lift aboot £400
Mat's aboot £300 plus facing brick if necessary.
Skip etc.

Or....

You may get a one man band with his own rickety tower and a handy fly tipping pick up truck that will do it for £500 less.

If I was buying it I would take a ladder and torch and look in the roofspace to see if the gable is single skin- It has been known to build like this. Also find out the direction of the prevailing wind . If it blows against the gable it's going to weather the pointing more at least. Or pay a surveyor to do it for you;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back