European to UK plug rewiring?

securespark said:
tim west said:
...to chop off a moulded plug and replace with a wired plug would definitely be classed as modification and negate any approval sticker on said appliance

So why do most manufacturers include a page in their instructions devoted to changing the plug top if it gets damaged or is the wrong type?

Wake up!!
Yes it would make sense to change a damaged plug but that still means it has been modified

+++++++++++
Moderators note:

Play nice, boys.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++

Sponsored Links
If you want to call it modified, OK.

However, I have spoken to Bosch & Neff today and they have no absolutely no problem whatsoever with an after market plug top being fitted to their appliances. Indeed, they say it is very often the case that their plugtop is removed to allow the appliance flex to be routed.

Can you tell me which companies have told you that replacing the plug top could be problematic? I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

that link to the 2-pin plug secure, can you find a 3-pin one? like the one on my banjo playing machine? ;) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
GP0440RR.jpg
&
TLPT13.JPG

;) :LOL:

Don't think there is one, but you could make one, providing the appliance is not rated in XS of 13A.

I did this for a client with a Japanese rice cooker which she had plugged into a shaver adaptor which had a load of wire stuffed into it where the 1A fuse should be!

Needless to say it wasn't earthed at all...

I made an adaptor with a metal back box (the type suited to moulded accessories) onto which I mounted a legrand schuko socket clipped into a one gang plate (available from WF).

This was fed via a standard 13A plugtop with a stuffing gland into the metal box.

Believe it or not, I have seen these before, but I was thinking of a way to covert one schuko plug to UK type.

In my case, I didn't want to give the customer the option to run 9 appliances off a 13A plugtop!!

I know they're fused down to 13A, but I have seen some terrible messes where multiple appliances have been attached to one plug/socket.

[You bugger!]

Crafty said:
Ahem,

I went downstairs and snapped that now just for you guys. :LOL:

How does that thing play a banjo, and why is it in the kitchen?

The grey thing this is connected to in the picture - its a george FORMBY grill. ;) (grey import you could say) :LOL:

You not got a George Formby grill JohnD?

Does it clean windows too Crafty?

securespark said:
Believe it or not, I have seen these before, but I was thinking of a way to covert one schuko plug to UK type.

In my case, I didn't want to give the customer the option to run 9 appliances off a 13A plugtop!!

I know they're fused down to 13A, but I have seen some terrible messes where multiple appliances have been attached to one plug/socket.

[You b*****r!]

It was the first pic google found.

I had to be quick to make sure I beat you :LOL:

Well then, how about this?

schuko-kabel.jpg
&
TLPT13.JPG

Also found this while searching for schuko. Made me laugh :D
Schuko-Gardena.jpg

<glad everyones too busy making up george formby jokes to realise the glaring stupid / ugly error top right of that photo>

:LOL:

No it wasnt me.

Lean mean window cleaning banjo playing machine. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back