EWI not enough space at one point.. how to handle?

PIR degradation has been discussed for years but I'm not aware of any definitive, independent info on it. The basis is that PIR is foamed with a gas (pentane) which, over many years, leaks out and is replaced with air. Air has a lesser thermal property so the insulation becomes less efficient. What UK manufacturers say is that this is accounted for in the Lambda of the material. In other words they are saying the actual Lambda is better than the quoted figure when you buy it new and reduces to the quoted figure over x number of years. I think they usually quote 25 years? Either way, unless you want to invest in Aerogel, or have the space to fit EPS, it's all we've got at the moment and I think still the best option.

Sponsored Links
Lol.. if only i could afford aerogel and even then when not in it's purest form is it not hydroscopic?

So these closed cells lose all their gas and what.. it's replaced with air? How does a closed cell do that?

Air being one of the best insulators we have (nearly all insulation works on the principle of trapping it), does this mean that there's a magical gas present in PIR that makes its insulation 50% to 100% better than if the cells were air filled? Why aren't we filling double glazing with that gas?

Hmm..

Sounds like a load of **** to me...

Sponsored Links
So these closed cells lose all their gas and what.. it's replaced with air? How does a closed cell do that?

Air being one of the best insulators we have (nearly all insulation works on the principle of trapping it), does this mean that there's a magical gas present in PIR that makes its insulation 50% to 100% better than if the cells were air filled? Why aren't we filling double glazing with that gas?

Hmm..

Sounds like a load of s**t to me...

If air were such good an insulator why would argon be used in double glazing? Also why do they use it as a heatshield in welding?

Some figures here for you to go through..
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back