Existing Cellar. Replacing roof. Stopping condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have an existing cellar, part of which extends 7ft past the foot print of the house. The external part suffers from condensation on the concrete roof. The internal part does not. As the steel beams in the ceiling of the external section are heavily corroded and the roof is not perfect (small holes), we will be cutting out the ceiling and replacing in order to ensure integirty of beams/structure. Also a damp proof cover will be put in.

The cellar is reasonably dry, external ceiling leaks a bit because roof isnt 100% water tight and condensation issues especially during winter.

So assuming the new roof will be similar: concrete with embedded steel beams.

(i) I'm quite happy with the stone walls. Can just the cellar ceiling be covered with something to stop the condensation forming (i.e. insulate better?)?

(ii) There is one vent in the internal part of the cellar (under the house footprint - no condensation, dry). Would another vent (in the external part) + ceiling insulation do the trick?

(iii) By tanking the external part of the cellar, would that solve everything? (!) I mean, do I have to be concerned about just sealing in potential problems between the ceiling/walls and new tanking covering?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back