Expansion tank constant dripping & gush when CH on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - hope you can help. Recently moved to new (old!) house. 25 yr old Potterton Kingfisher boiler. All rads came on a bit when hot water went on. As was summer & no valves on any rads, I closed all valves with pliers.

Recently as it's getting cold, I asked someone to fit TRVs on each rad. Since then the expansion tank in the loft has been constantly dripping and if we put the CH on then it kind of gushes.

A couple more bits of info - when the plumber tried to refill the system after fitting the TRVs it just dripped through v v slowly so he came back next day to power flush (though not, I expect, as if it was a new boiler type scenario) & he did put inhibitor in.

So.... since then I haven't put the CH on but it's FREEZING. We do get a bit of heat when the hot water comes on.

Can someone tell me:
1) why did the expansion tank start dripping AFTER TRVs
2) why is it constant?
3) what can I do (if anything to resolve) - do I need a plumber????
4) why do the rads come on a bit with the hot water??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your system is still blocked and it is pumping over.The power flush and inhibitor was a waste of money as he has not fixed your fault.If you trust that he is competent then call him back or get another heating engineer.It does sound like you may have a Y plan (3 port) valve which now has crud under the valve seating causing partial heating of rads on hw only.You may have gravity hot water and pumped heating and the anti gravity valve has also been affected.Where did he tether his horse?

Sponsored Links
OK so, yes he was gas safe, but no, I don't have any confidence in him any more cos if he'd been that conscientious he might have told me that it would be a waste of money to fit TRVs to every rad in the house, even if there is a room stat in the same room (for example). I could have simply bought some basic rad valves....

That aside.. sounds like it's not going to be as simple as losing some water out of the system then? I was thinking perhaps it had simply been overfilled and if I bled one of the rads a bit it might solve the problem. Obv I was being naive! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back