Expensive Plumber??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got started on replacing an old gate valve for the hot water supply (from the tank to the taps.) bought a 22mm ball valve from screwfix,

Once I got all the crud off I managed to remove the valve.
The olive just slid off on end and the other olive was fitted cockeyed so was lucky it wasnt leaking badly after all those years.. poss the crud was sealin leaks.. anyway. the end of the pipe with the cockeyed olive was in a hard place to get to to cut the the olive off and also discovered the pipe was imperial pipe.

Not being confident on soldering an adaptor on given its awkward location I decided to call on my neighbour.. a plumber, who fitted it for me but charged labour at 25 quid.

Later found out he's bodge fitted the ball valve, connecting the metric pipe from the tank to the imperial pipe to the taps.

will the bodge fit be ok (ie not leak)? and did he charge the going rate?
not keen on him bodge fitting it.

Sponsored Links
did he charge the going rate?

Have a look at the National Register for Plumbing Charges. If it's been contravened you may be able to have him put in the stocks for a week prior to receiving purification before being hung drawn & quartered and his parts distributed to all corners of the UK.

My opinion is that the price is always a reflection of the standard/quality of the end product.

Lets hope your "bodger"?? plumber is not one us reading this, he will certainly be able to work out who you are ......... think before you type is my motto!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
no he didnt charge the going rate he charged you a nominal price for coming round and helping a neighbour out who started something they were incapable of completing and gettinng you out the sh#te

And you come on and question £25 .

WHY dont you just ask the guy if he has ripped you off as you seem to think

He came and helped when you got stuck!

Quite possibly during the evening!

I think he deserved at least £50 in the circumstances.

For a customer I would be charging at least £75.

But I did replace the leaking boiler washer joints free for the Chinese neighbour.

Tony

Later found out he's bodge fitted the ball valve, connecting the metric pipe from the tank to the imperial pipe to the taps.

will the bodge fit be ok (ie not leak)? and did he charge the going rate?
not keen on him bodge fitting it.

Oh no, that's obviously a bodge.
He should have replaced all the imperial pipe. :rolleyes:
What would you expect to pay for that?

Of course all plumbers work for their whole street free of charge, evenings and weekends a speciality, because they aren't doing any other work at the time, and the parts they use aren't lined up for a particular job.
Actually they should pay you, for being given the chance to contribute to society.

My neighbours know that I would never "work" for them....this post is a first class example of why I don't work for neighbours.

Just to knock on my door comes with a charge of £75

:D

My neighbours know that I would never "work" for them....this post is a first class example of why I don't work for neighbours.

Just to knock on my door comes with a charge of £75

:D

That's kind of you to give them a discount

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back