Expert plumbers please help... im so confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Firstly - thanks to all you experienced plumbers who post on here, u have taught me a great deal.

I decided to install a new system so that i could have a power shower... quite a lot more complicated than i first thought hahaha - i was planning on sticking my new salamander 3 bar twin impeller on the water mains - lucky i double checked first. So, having already bought the pump (...being rather special as i am) I then decided to put in a new cw and hwc in a storage cupboard which has cost me an arm and a leg.

I have had soooo many problems fitting the bloody thing that I wished I had never started!

My current problem is that the pump is taking in air from the hwc vent because the head is too small... I am going to buy 28mm pipe work next week for cold water inlet and also am going to make a coil of 22mm pipe for the vent to increase resistance... hopefully this will work...

HOWEVER, I also think the problem is that my hwc is getting too hot from the central heating circuit - i want to disconnect this primary circuit and just use the immersion at the top... can i do this??? if so then what the hell do i do with central heating circuit in the tank... can i just leave it filled with air????

thanks in advance - i really cant afford to get a plumber out now... im already in so much debt...

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a few pics would be a good place to start.

You really seem to have rushed into this without researching what you should do.

If pumping over then a better solution would be to convert to a combined feed and vent pipe.

Just leave the boiler heated cylinder, its far cheaper.

You seem to have implied that you dont have proper controls which will set the cylinder temperature. Just fit the standard controls!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If pumping over then a better solution would be to convert to a combined feed and vent pipe.

You seem to have implied that you dont have proper controls which will set the cylinder temperature. Just fit the standard controls!

Tony

Hi Tony,

thanks for response - what do u mean a combined feed and vent pipe? I have a salamander s flange already installed.

Also your right - i dont have any controls for cylinder temp... ill nip down to screwfix and see what i can get!

I will post pics soon but at the mo i dont have a camera that works.

thanks for your help

I hope Screwfix is close by for you to nip to as I doubt your car would be working either!

probablyshouldhavejustcal";p="1888895 said:
Hello,

and also am going to make a coil of 22mm pipe for the vent to increase resistance... hopefully this will work...

We taught him all we know .........................................and he still knows nothing :mrgreen:

and also am going to make a coil of 22mm pipe for the vent to increase resistance... hopefully this will work...

We taught him all we know .........................................and he still knows nothing :mrgreen:

I agree - i'm terrible at plumbing but are you saying that it won't work?

Also - no one has properly answered my question :(

Another problem im faced with is how the hell do bend 28mm pipes to ??? can it be done with one of those spring thingy majiggys?

Forgot to mention -

Went to plumbing shop- altogether will cost around £60 for thermostat and gate valve :!: so decided to just disconnect central heating for now and use immersion - ill get central heating controls when i can afford. It should be ok just leaving central heating circuit in the hwc open shouldn't it?

ok no response so am assuming its ok to leave the central heating coil in my hwc open.

please let me know if there is a problem with this as am currently doing it.

ook so next thing i am planning is to increase size of feed to hwc from cw... if maximum size on the hwc is 28mm then is it worth using 35mm pipework or will it make no difference than using 28mm?

Using immersion will soon cost £60 extra compared with gas!

I agree - i'm terrible at plumbing but are you saying that it won't work?

Also - no one has properly answered my question :(

Another problem im faced with is how the hell do bend 28mm pipes to ??? can it be done with one of those spring thingy majiggys?
A coil won`t increase resistance :cry: You can get a 28mm. pipe bending machine :idea: _ or use fittings. Indirect cylinder coil can be left un connected :idea:

Hello again,

Would a no stop essex flange stop the pump from pulling air in from the air vent??

- im going to increase size of cw feed but im worried air may still get sucked in as the air vent is only about 1 m high...

Thanks for the advice so far! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back