Exposed brick opening for a log burner. Repointing

Thanks Gerry. The hearth is made of two large slabs of solid riven slate that I bought from a local garden centre. I bedded them in cement and then grouted the line between them and around the edges with black grout.

I love the uneven natural look and after I oil them again they look absolutely fantastic.

Sponsored Links
They do look particularly nice. Almost greenish, or maybe that's just the photo.
I'd be very interested to know how much you spent on this project, as I've long fancied a wood burner myself. I know a couple of people who have done it, and they both seemed to spend a little under £2000 for the burner, flue liner, installation, making good etc.

Thanks! I think that's just my old camera. When it's oiled it looks black, and after a few weeks it goes a dark grey.

Costs:
- Removal of the old hearth, concrete, rubble etc - FREE plus several days of my time
- Flue fitting and log burner fitting including hire of a cherry picker - £1100
- Log burner, Jotul F100. - £890 online (it is an expensive one but I liked how it looks)
- Hearth - £140 of slate, fitted myself.
- Mantlepiece (not yet fitted) - £60 from reclaim yard and then refurbished and repainted myself
- Making good - I did myself. It was replastered as part of the room so not counting that as would have done it anyway.

So all in just over £2k. Well worth it for the pleasure of a real fire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back