Extend live/neutral cable from ceiling rose to attach to light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive bought a new light fitting and had to make a contraption in order to have something to screw the bracket into through the ceiling so it could hold the fitting itself (see photo).

Once I finally got the contraption to fit in the ceiling, unfortunately the live and neutral cables are far too short to wire to the fitting (are attached to a junction box- see photo). Would I be able to extend this cable? I was thinking about buying some electrical cable and attaching one section from live and one from neutral and then wiring appropriately into the light fitting. Would this work?? What cable should I buy and presumably I use the same wiring, and just cut two of the same length wires out of it (and be very careful to wire in to appropriate live and neutrals in the light fitting).

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 459
Sponsored Links
Just buy some flex, does the light fitting need an earth or not?

Im not sure!!! Here is a pic of the fitting.....my neighbour is an electrician and he looked at it ages back and cant recall what he said but he seemed to think it would be ok?? What do you think? From what I remember the neighbour said that the earth would be in the ceiling and doesn't need to be fit....makes any sense to you?

Attachments

• IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 416
The cable connected to the fitting looks long enough already? Needs to be earthed for sure.

Sponsored Links
What your neighbour said about the earth not being needed may have been true about the old light. But your new one certainly must be earthed so you'll need to add an earth connection - probably from that connector that is up in the ceiling.
While you are doing that, you can put in longer live and neutral wires that will reach your new light fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back