Extending 6mm cable for 8.5 kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to repalce an electric shower , however the new shower electrics are on the opposite side. Can i extend the 6mm cable with connector blocks so it can reach the new required position?

Sponsored Links
save yourself some bother and get a sparky in to fit 10mm throughout, that way when you want to upgrade to a 9.5KW or 10.5KW shower you already have the right size in..

alternatively, why not just put a longer piece in from the shower switch you should have nearby?

this work is notifiable under part P of the building regulations..

joints made with screw connectors must be accessible for inspection

your shower circuit will also need RCD protection if it does not already have it..

Sponsored Links
ok, I may have gone over the top..

I misread your post and thought you were moving the shower to a new position..

what you are saying is you've fitted a new shower and the wires don't reach the terminal blocks?

then yes, terminal block inside the shower is acceptible since there are already screwed connections in there..

it's still preferable to change the cable to remove a the possibility of a fault if the terminal blocks work loose..

only extending about 6 inches from one side to the other. No more slack on cable and behind tiles.

I'm assuming here the join is going to end up within the shower somewhere - your best option rather than connector block is probably to use crimps (with a proper ratcheting crimp tool), as that will take up less space, so should be easier to fit in...

Havent got a crimping tool but have got a connector block and can make it fit. Was just going to put a small bit of 10 mm from connector block to shower terminals as i have some handy.

A couple of things to check - is the connector block sufficiently rated for the current that will be going through it, and is it near anything that is going to get hot (such as the heating can or whatever), as the combination of heat from the current and heat from the shower might cause it to melt...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back