Extending a shed base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am extending a concrete shed base from 8'x6' to 10'x10', to a depth of 2", but with 4" around the edges. The depths were what a builder said would be adequate. This is for a summerhouse.

My questions are:

How many ready-mixed bags of aggregate will I need? Or is it a lot cheaper to buy 'all-in ballast'.

Do I need hardcore/ type1 for such a shallow construction?

How long will it take to harden off?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
2'' may well crack i'd beef it up to 3 at least probably if it was me 4.

Check out the calculator sticky in the building section for quantities of ballast

I would put some compacted mot under there especially if you are only putting 3 inches down. I would also tie it into the existing concrete by drilling holes in it half way down and sticking some bits of steel re-bar in there otherwise the new bit may settle differently.

It will be hard enough to build on the next day assuming it was poured the morning before. just leave it 24 hours after pouring. it won't be completely cured for weeks but that is irrelevant.

Thanks for your help. The shuttering I've got is 5" deep, so I can afford to have 1" mot (not sure what that stands for) compacted and 4" ballast.

Sponsored Links
If you already have it dug out and shuttered i agree to just fill it with concrete. As for the pins just make up a goup of pure cement and water and smear it round it then twist it into the whole. Be careful it goes off pretty quick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back