Extending BT socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read about this at length and am still none the wiser, so apologies if repeating myself...

I am renovating a flat and would like to move the router to a central position (at 8m down the corridor) to get better coverage. I'd like to co-ordinate so that it happens when everything is upside down and cabling can be concealed under floorboards)

I am aware you aren't supposed to move the BT master sockets

Here is what I'm wondering:

a) will there be a notable reduction in quality, if i run a slave then plug the router in there? I'm not a gamer, but do stream netflix etc on TVs/laptops
b) what equipment should I use to take a slave socket from the master using lower half of the faceplate? recommendations?
c) is it worth just getting BT to move the master (when i have all the floorboards up etc)

Sorry if this is rookie territory, alas I am such!

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
You can add an extension to the master and plug the router in to that, which is what I did at work. Running internet speed tests from the master and slave, showed no deterioration when the slave socket was used, and the cable run was longer than 8 meters as there was a vertical rise and fall included.

If you still want to plug your broadband into the master, then there’s another way of doing this. Plug your broadband hub directly into the master, then connect an Ethernet lead to it which you can then run to a device at the other end, or another router if required.

I seem to think as well that when I looked into it before, I found that there is a way to wire a new master to the original master, but I can't remember the details.

I have known of occasions where the master sockets have been moved by others. New /renovated houses are often pre-wired internally by the builders so that the cables are be hidden, and the service provider will then make the final connection outside, so the internal wiring won't have been done by them anyway.

You could do it yourself...

eBay for a Krone Tool and a BT/Telephone Junction Box - both a few pounds. Acquire a length of Cat5/Alarm/Telephone wire, then photograph the BT Master and use the junction box to extend the wire and the picture/Krone Tool to put the wires in place in the Master. Obviously if you are extending the Green wire, remember what colour wire you've attached to it to extend and punch down (Krone) that colour wire in the correct place in the Master.

In this way you can hide all the wire.

My explanation is more complicated than what you need to do. I've never had any issues with BT or broadband speed after moving Master sockets.

Where abouts are you? Very easy to do. With a faceplate you can just extend the dsl signal to a slave socket.

Sponsored Links
BT/Telephone Junction Box

Why would he need a junction box? You just connect the new cable to the lower half removable section of the master socket.

Also, don't use alarm cable or a spare cat5e patch lead you've got laying around for example, they have stranded wires, BT sockets and Krone tools are intended for use with solid core wire, which CW1308 and Cat5e 'normal' cable are.

Max, don't get BT to do it. They'll want an extortionate amount of money for it. Adding your own internal extensions yourself is perfectly legal/safe/etc.

Gaz :)

Whilst doing this job, it would be a nice introduction to telephone wiring and enable you to get rid of the trailing micro-filters if you replaced the bottom half of the face plate with an "adapted filtered face plate." (£10)
This gives you a face plate with a filtered phone socket and a router connection socket on the front and 6 connections on the rear. Two of these can be run to a new router socket and two to a separate (or combined) phone extension socket.
The details of which labelled connections are required come with the filtered face plate as purchased.
(Clarity communications can be googled and their web site is a marvel of helpful information as well as reasonably priced materials.)

Why would he need a junction box? You just connect the new cable to the lower half removable section of the master socket.

I suggested that so that if he wants to avoid having a redundant BT box lurking around, he can use a j/box and hide it under the floorboards/where ever..

avoid having a redundant BT box lurking around, he can use a j/box and hide it

Oh, I see, thanks for explaining, but I think Max wants to do everything 'by the book', because he said...

I am aware you aren't supposed to move the BT master sockets

Technically the incoming cable to your house and the Master socket itself are owned by BT and you're not supposed to make any alterations to them. You're allowed to add your own cables to the removable lower half though.

Gaz :)

Awesome, thanks for responses all.

So I just need some cable (will cat 6 work?), a slave socket and a krone tool?

Anyone with a link to a decent wiring diagram would be useful. I've looked at many but cannot determine which is the best/definitely correct for my purposes

:)

(Clarity communications can be googled and their web site is a marvel of helpful information as well as reasonably priced materials.)
Like wise for Solwise http://solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm
So I just need some cable (will cat 6 work?), a slave socket and a krone tool?

For the telephone wiring including from Master to Router use telephone cable CW1308 The ADSL signal is designed and optimised to travel along telephone type cables with low twist. CAT cables have a much higher twist tha CW1308. If the ADSL signal has to change from low twist to high twist it can be degraded. If you are close to the exchange with a strong ADSL signal then the change to CAT cable will not cause noticable degredation but if the ADSL signal is weak then the degredation of a few metres of CAT cable can significantly reduce data rates.

Last edited:
A follow up question would be... by Master socket has one outlet into which a microfilter is plugged (tat the router is plugged into, phone empty as not used).

Can I replicate this setup at the new slave socket? I'm thinking along the lines of, if i ever want to plug a phone in, will i be able to do that at the slave using the microfilter, while keeping the router running?

Use a filtered front plate on the existing Master.

This will provide :-

Terminals 2 3 and 5 as filtered ( i.e. no ADSL ) service for the telephones in the house.

Terminals A and B as unflitered ( i.e. with the ADSL signal ) service fro the router / modem. It also carries the telephone service.

You can fit a second "master" socket where you want it and connect only the A and B terminals on the back part of this new "master" socket to the A and B terminals on the front of the original Master socket.

Use a filtered front plate on the existing Master.

This will provide :-

Terminals 2 3 and 5 as filtered ( i.e. no ADSL ) service for the telephones in the house.

Terminals A and B as unflitered ( i.e. with the ADSL signal ) service fro the router / modem. It also carries the telephone service.

You can fit a second "master" socket where you want it and connect only the A and B terminals on the back part of this new "master" socket to the A and B terminals on the front of the original Master socket.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...mp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B003H6GUNA

And then I can run the slave and have the router and/or broadband in either location as I choose without restriction? Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back