Extending cable on extractor fan install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to extend a cable connecting an extractor fan in he bathroom. I purchased a Soler & Palau silent 100 model and as it was replacing a very old model I got an electrician in to do it. The fan had be fitted on it's side as the installer said the cable wasn't long enough. however the fan looks strange on it's side due to the fact that the logo and led are now on their side. i know it's not a big deal (and it's not really) but I just wanted know whether the wire could be safely extended and if so how? The installer said he didn't want to mess around extending wires!!

Sponsored Links
It is possible to extend wires; exactly how depends on how the fan is connected and what need to be extended and joined to what.

If you can put up a photo of the fan showing its cabling arrangements we can make suggestions.

Hi Owain, thanks for your speedy reply. I have attached a couple of pictures. The red LED on the top left of the first pic should actually be rotated 45degrees to the right but this would mean the cable is not long enough meaning the fan is on it's side. The second pic is a close up of the wiring. there is an earth wire which has been terminated as it was not required with this particular model. Thanks again.

View media item 93062 View media item 93063

If it was me, I would rotate the unit as it should.
The issue is then that the entry hole moves and it is likely that if you managed to take the existing cable to the new location of the entry hole, the sheath (outer PVC layer of the insulated cores) of the cable will not enter the enclosure.
Which it should.
I personally would make another entry hole on the fan plate, so the cable can enter at the same position on the wall, using a 16mm-20mm hole saw (not a flat bit!). Being careful not to damage/shutter the plastic.

Sponsored Links
I personally would make another entry hole on the fan plate, so the cable can enter at the same position on the wall, using a 16mm-20mm hole saw (not a flat bit!). Being careful not to damage/shutter the plastic.
In principle, I would be inclined to do the same (and have certainly been known to do that in the past!). However, if the OP is right in saying that it needs rotating 90 degrees (he said 45, but I don't think he meant that!) clockwise ("to the right"), then it looks as if one would be trying to drill a hole perilously close to the terminal block, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

I am assuming, by the writing on the wall, that the picture is up the right way, so-

Does it not need rotating 180°?

I am assuming, by the writing on the wall, that the picture is up the right way, so- Does it not need rotating 180°?
I would personally have thought so - the writing on the label (and the labelling of the connector block) would then be the right way up. However, I was going by what the OP said about the LED needing rotating "45 degrees to the right" - by which I took him to mean 90 degrees clockwise! Hopefully he will clarify. If it does need turning 180 degrees, then one would be trying to drill a hole very close to that PCB.

Kind Regards, John

I am assuming, by the writing on the wall, that the picture is up the right way, so-

Does it not need rotating 180°?

I believe the Soler & Palau silent 100 series connection terminals, are located on the bottom right of the unit and cable entry bottom left.

I would expect a cover on the other exposed parts of the circuit board though.

You must be right, PBoD.

SLS100CDZ.JPG

OP - is it worth the bother?

I'd just like to start by saying thanks for all your replies. Really appreciate the fact that people have taken time out to give their advice. Sorry it's a bit confusing because the cover is off the wall at the mo and my explanation of turning it 90 degrees was probably wrong. What i should have said is one turn clockwise (cable entry hole goes from bottom right to bottom left) I have attached pics to show what I mean. I have also attached pics of the actual fan. the 1st is what it should look like on the wall, the 2nd is what it actually looks like when installed. The problem is that the LED and logo are now on their side and it just doesn't look right. Drilling a hole is something I hadn't considered but is a very good idea. It is next to cable housing unit which would mean I would have to cut the wires right back. Is this ok or could it cause a problem if the fan were ever to be replaced again (as the wires could then be too short).

PBoD you are correct if i turn the unit the correct way the wires will probably reach but I don't thing the sheath will not enter the enclosure.

Perhaps EFL Impudence is right, It's probable not worth the bother. Little things like that just annoy me i guess lol!!

View media item 93084View media item 93085View media item 93086View media item 93087

Drilling a hole is something I hadn't considered but is a very good idea. It is next to cable housing unit which would mean I would have to cut the wires right back. Is this ok or could it cause a problem if the fan were ever to be replaced again (as the wires could then be too short).
Cutting them short would not be a good idea for the reason you state (the next replacement may need longer wires!). However, you should be able to leave the wires their present length and fold them in 'loops' within the enclosure.

Kind Regards, John

Drilling a hole is something I hadn't considered but is a very good idea.
Thank you for your appreciation
It is next to cable housing unit which would mean I would have to cut the wires right back. Is this ok or could it cause a problem if the fan were ever to be replaced again (as the wires could then be too short).
Well you either keep cables as they are, they should fit neatly in to enclosure or you cut them back and be informed when you need to replace, that you purchase one that suits what you have.

NB. You do not have to make hole directly at the connector, you can have the cable chased back into wall and bring the cable in closer to the bottom middle.

Thanks again PBoB. The fan is currently off the wall as I'm redectorating the Bathroom. I will give it a go and keep my fingers crossed. I'm glad I came on here now because the hole is a much better alternative to trying to extend the wiring. Thanks again PBoD and everyone who advised me really appreciate it !!! Geoff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back