Extending drop wire to new master socket location - hlp pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Yes, I know the DIYer should not touch BT's property etc. But I need to move the master socket to a new location as it's currently under the window which will soon become te location of the kitchen sink - not ideal. Thus, I need to move the master socket to a new location and quite frankly want to retain the $$$ myself. ;)

No intention to bodge it, so I'm replacing like for like and cabling it properly in it's new location. The current dropwire from the connection box on the exterior wall is labelled as far as I can make out "55635 HCE dropwire 12 Propert of BTC plc yada yada yada 055704 1/0.9". It consits of only 3 wires (orange, white , yellow) so is this classed as 2pr or 3pr? I'd like something compatible from fleabay or the likes of TLC.

Also any particular jelly crimps I should get?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
it's 1 pair but you can use 2 or 1 pair dropwire to extend it. Bt use dexbond jelly crimps.

are you running a new cable internally or externally?

Thanks Cajar!

I will replace current dropwire from outside junction box with this one from fleabay then: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20m-COIL-...t=UK_Phones_PhoneLeads_RL&hash=item2c8efe67a1

It'll run from the box up the wall (drip loop of course!) into the eaves and into loft where it will be going tpo the back of the house into the new study room.

The exterior wall will have EWI at some point in the near future, so the cable will be completed covered up. Junction box will remain exposed.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sounds like a professional job, and i have noticed that encasing dropwire in EWI seems to extend the life of the wire significantly.

If the junction box you're renewing from has brass screw terminals, should also spray them with WD40 before and after terminating, help prevent corrosion and poor connections in the future.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back