Extending existing conservatory base/footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had an existing base for a conservatory entended by more than double in size and had a all glass conservatory put up.

I am in the process of putting wooden flooring down but before I do I wanted to know what the best way would be to join the existing base to the extended part? Currently the builder has just concreted up to the existing base leaving a very small gap between the two bases.

Should I make this gap a little bit bigger to maybe 10mm so that I can put an expansion joint in or is that not recommended? Bearing in mind the conservatory is up and I need to deal with the floor situation somehow!!

I would really appreciate some advice here!

Many thanks

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have recently had an existing base for a conservatory entended by more than double in size and had a all glass conservatory put up.

I am in the process of putting wooden flooring down but before I do I wanted to know what the best way would be to join the existing base to the extended part? Currently the builder has just concreted up to the existing base leaving a very small gap between the two bases.

Should I make this gap a little bit bigger to maybe 10mm so that I can put an expansion joint in or is that not recommended? Bearing in mind the conservatory is up and I need to deal with the floor situation somehow!!

I would really appreciate some advice here!

Many thanks

Wayne

Two things.

1. The DPM under the slabs should have been joined / overlapped - has this been done ?

2. Relative movement between slabs ?
Has the new slab been joined to the old with rebar ? If not cutting slots and inserting resin fixings is possible.
Otherwise you could get some slight movement between the slabs in the future. If its a floating timber floor or boards on battens, you should get away with it. A tiled floor could crack along the joint line.
If glued-down parquet etc, you could get some blocks coming loose.

An expansion joint would not usually be required in a domestic solid floor.
If there is insulation around the perimeter this would allow for some expansion.
Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply!

The exisisting base did not have a DPM, however it was built approximately 17 years ago and we have lived here for seven years with no damp what so ever! I dont think a rebar was fitted either!

So bearing in mind that I'll be laying wooden flooring, what do you think the best way forward would be?

I forgot to mention that I have two manholes within the new base which now have double sealed internal manhole covers on them.

I was also told by my builder to paint the floor with some damp proof paint. I was also going to be using a damp proof sheet underneath my insulation!!

Cheers

Wayne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back