Extending existing garden retaining wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

New member here. Part way through a project and I would like to ask some advice. We have a small patio at the back of our house which is below the level of the garden ( approx 550mm ). There is a double skin brieze block wall (red) faced in some nice old stone (blue) which acts as a retaining wall around the patio. On the right hand side of the patio we had a great big 'planter' which basically took up about 1 metre of space. This is on the same level as the garden. I have now removed this and put in new slabs up to the boundary wall.

Image6.jpg

The questions i have relate to the small section of new wall I must now build between the existing retaining wall and the boundary wall marked as 'new wall section' on the diagram. I am basically planning to copy what is already there ie double thinkness of brieze blocks and faced in older stone. Obviously this means joining into existing breize blocks on the left hand side and butting up against the bounary wall on the right hand side. I have put in a small concrete slip foundation and will build off this but I can't quite see how I should join into the existing walls at each end. Any advice about this or anything else would be a great help. I should be able to post some actual pictures tomorrow. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
depends a little on what you already have there and how it looks. A picture will help if you can post it. Bonding it into the existing will be the strongest method and best looking. you need to remove out some of the existing brickwok and carry the coursing on through, rather than butting all the new up to the existing, with one straight vertical joint. You could use a wall starter or similar if you did that but it will still look pants!

Sponsored Links
if the wall isn't particularly tall then take down the end section in a rake and join on using the same bond. if it was tall then you would tooth bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back