Extending over recent single storey extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a house that had a single storey side extension done in 2009/2010.

Would this most likely have the correct footings for double storey?

Would be very economical to make this a 5bed house if I could build straight ontop.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the extension is that recent, one would normally assume the foundation would be adequate for a second storey.
The building inspector would want to see the existing foundation with one or two trial pits.

If the extension is that recent, one would normally assume the foundation would be adequate for a second storey.
The building inspector would want to see the existing foundation with one or two trial pits.

Perfect

Inspection pits should be no worries.

Roof is mainly flat apart from the front and back where a tiled roof has been added for aesthetic's.

I think most if cost will be in roof.

You should contact your local building control, they should have an accurate record of the foundations for the extension when it was built, this may take out the need to dig trial holes. That is if it was done covered LABC.

Sponsored Links
You should contact your local building control, they should have an accurate record of the foundations for the extension when it was built, this may take out the need to dig trial holes. That is if it was done covered LABC.

If the original extension was overseen by LABC, on full-plans, they will hold drawings of the extension, and these will probably show some standard depth/detail of foundation. Whether the foundation was built according to the plan is another matter. In situations like this, inspectors almost always want to see the original foundation as built, regardless of what may be on the plans.
(Also, most inspectors won't be bothered fishing out old plans).

If the original extension was overseen by LABC, on full-plans, they will hold drawings of the extension, and these will probably show some standard depth/detail of foundation. Whether the foundation was built according to the plan is another matter. In situations like this, inspectors almost always want to see the original foundation as built, regardless of what may be on the plans.
(Also, most inspectors won't be bothered fishing out old plans).

Full plans or notice should be irrelevant an accurate site set of notes should have been made for the foundation inspection at the time. If it was my area I would probably remember a job from 3-4 years ago and the builders that built it, fishing out old plans etc should take around 30 seconds with everything being electronically stored nowadays, but perhaps I am not like most inspectors :oops:
Although it is not unheard of for foundations to be backfilled with rubble once the dig out has been passed. :eek:

If I was a Building Inspector, overseeing a building I had previously not inspected, I would not rely on a foundation detail on a drawing, but would go out to the job and check the footings as built.
That is part of what inspectors are supposed to be paid for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back