extending the bt master socket for a second router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys new to the forum so bare with me

Im looking to extend my phone line from the master socket to a new slave socket to which a second router will be plugged into and was wondering which would be the best way i have cat 6 4 pair cable and as stated a slave socket i know to use conections 5(blue/white)
3(orange) 2(blue) but im unsure from there is cat6 the correct cable and would i need an extra adsl filter as i have heard if there is more than one there is speed issues

If some one could please put me onto the right path i would be much appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you can have two routers on the same phone line ?

Wouldn't be a problem for incoming data but for outgoing data the routers would have to have some form of interlocking to prevent them both transmitting at the same time.

Not to savy on this type of thing so unsure on how it works the kids have sevral wireless devices connected (phones xbox ipads) to my current router which substancialy reduces my wired connection to my comp and was wondering if i could have a second router for my own personal use if i am unable to have 2 routers on the same line what other options do i have availible
Cheers for the reply

you can't have more than one router per line.

your options would be to increase your broadband package, install a second line and router, or the more tech savvy option would be to use some sort of traffic management int the router so That your web browsing takes priority over their Facebook games if they are trying to download at the same second.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys i have 20 meg unlimeted broadband through sky and i take it a second line would be a job for open reach to do ill have to see which option is the cheapest

Cheers pal

Do you mean ethernet cable? Cat 6 is ethernet. In which case put the phone lead in one router, ethernet cable from a port to a port on the second router. Set the 2nd router to ignore adsl.

Because he would have two routers connected, one near the phone socket and one remote. That's what he wants. He only wants a phone line into one, plugging into two won't work

he's having bandwidth issues with his kids hogging the line and (mistakenly) thought a second router would give him another 20mb.

I only read the first post properly. I'd have a word with the children myself, 20meg should be tons. Find out what they are downloading

I have two routers running off the one phone line.

One upstairs & one downstairs.

The upstairs is fed from one of the ports from downstairs, this gives me 6 ports to play with.

So I have 6 separate ports, all cabled to 6 separate points around the house with one going out to my shed. All works very well, no problems ever.

Don't ask me how to do this because I have not got a clue, a friend did it for me 18mths ago, no idea how.

Only ever have two connections in use at any one time, don't like wireless.

That's perfectly standard, virtually every business network is daisy chained like that

You can put a router behind a router but it can create problems with some applications, you need to know how to set it up right and the second router must be a type that has an ethernet port on the "internet side" rather than a built in ADSL modem.

You can also configure some routers so they don't actually do any routing or NAT and just act as a switch and possiblly a wireless access point.

Really? Any one I have seen have been an adsl modem and a switch joined together. The switch ports don't care whether they are connected to a computer or another switch. The ports or all bi-directional or you couldn't build a network.

Really? Any one I have seen have been an adsl modem and a switch joined together. The switch ports don't care whether they are connected to a computer or another switch. The ports or all bi-directional or you couldn't build a network.
Logically a typical UK home router can be thought of as a combination of FIVE different network devices.

1: an ADSL modem
2: a router with NAT capabilities
3: a DHCP server
4: an ethernet switch
5: a wireless access point.

You also get home routers that omit the ADSL modem and have an ethernet port on the WAN side. These are often known as "cable routers" as they were typically used in conjunction with cable modems (in the days before virgin media supplied combined modem-router units)

There are actually at least ways you can have a setup with two home routers.

One option is to disable the DHCP server in one of them, set them to different lan-side IPs from the same subnet and connect their lan sides together. By doing this you make the second router act as a mere switch and wireless access point, the modem and router functionality in it are not used (they are still there but no traffic will ever reach them because no computer will have it's default gateway pointing at them).

The second option is to put a NAT router behind a NAT router, to do this you need a router whose WAN-side port is ethernet. You also have to configure the routers so their LAN-side networks use different IP ranges as most routers don't like having the LAN-side, an advantage of this approach is it provides some (though not total) isolation between the networks. The downside is that the traffic is NATed twice which can cause problems with some applications.

The third option is to put a router behind a router but without using NAT on the "inner" router. Again you will need a router where the WAN-side port is ethernet. You will also need to add a routing table entry on the "outer" router so it knows about the inner router.

It was a common problem on office networks that people would plug the lan-side of a home router into the office network without disabling the dhcp server and it would cause chaos as it handed out bogus IP and gateway information. So-much so that many managed switches have explicit functionality for blocking unwanted dhcp servers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back