extending the bt master socket for a second router

As you are with sky I take it that it is ADSL. One down side with sky is you are only meant to use their apparatus to connect to the internet, they don't supply a username and password to connect to the internet, it is already in the modem. (There are ways of extracting the username and password but probably not worth it).

Have you tried doing a speed test to see what broadband speed you are actually getting? With nothing else using the broadband try http://www.speedtest.net/ . I'm with sky also and am getting 18.7Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
Inside your house, do you have many extension sockets? Sometimes using an ADSL splitter at the master socket to separate the broadband signal and the telephone voice lines can help.

Sponsored Links
yes you have to have dhcp on just one router. I have two routers, one on 192.168.0.1 and one on 0.2, dhcp range on the 1st is set from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.254 and is disabled on the second. Adsl is just ignored on the second one. I don't know what features are available on current routers, mine are quite old

There is confusion here on the term ROUTER.

You cannot connect two routers to one phone line.

You can connect one to the phoneline, and use an Ethernet port to uplink to a second NETWORK SWITCH. A router does contain a network switch. If you want to waste money and fit a second router, rather than a simple network switch, you would need to disable the DHCP server in the second router (or the first), and let it ignore its WAN ADSL connection.

A router is a very generic term for a device that contains an ADSL modem, a firewall (usually providing routing and NAT), a network switch, and possibly a wireless access point too.

Connecting a network switch to the router will provide you with further Ethernet ports for more devices, but if your router and switch are domestic types, they will offer no bandwidth control to reserve bandwidth for users or protocols. You would need commercial grade kit for this.

To be honest, a 20M connection, running at 20M, should be ample for a small family.

I would look to check your router does sync at 20M. Look in the stats page on the router. Also do a line speed test at speedtest.net with only one device connected. You may find you're not getting 20M, either due to line length or quality, an internal fault, or even because you are using up your monthly download quota, and being capped at a slow speed until the next billing period.

Don't blame the kids yet. Prove your line is doing what you're expecting first!

^^ This is spot on.

If the line is good and you're getting the speed you think you're getting then I would put money on the issue being the Wi-Fi element of the ISP supplied kit.

If everyone in the household is streaming/downloading etc I would expect some contention issues. Even if all of the kit is running 300Mbs 'N' but that's a complex issue to go into....

Sponsored Links
There is confusion here on the term ROUTER.
Which you have just added to.

A router is a very generic term for a device that contains an ADSL modem, a firewall (usually providing routing and NAT), a network switch, and possibly a wireless access point too.
NO NO NO

A router is a device that routes traffic between two or more IP networks. It may or may not offer other functionality on top of that. What other functionality it offers will depend on the market segment it is targetted at.

Routers targetted at home and small buisness users will have things like NAT, a built in ethernet switch on the LAN side, a built-in DHCP server, software that assumes a simple setup with "WAN" on one side and "LAN" on the other with very few routing table entries and possiblly a wireless access points and/or ADSL modem.

Routers targetted at the core of large networks will have features like large routing tables, many indepdent ports (not just a handful of ports on an integrated switch) and route learning protocols.

But all of this is getting offtopic, the key point is you can't put more than one ADSL modem (which may or may not be integrated in a router) on one phone line and adding more routers (in whatever configuration) is highly unlikely to help you.

To the original poster, you need to find out WHY your service is slow. The first thing to do is to log into the router and check the "sync" speeds. These are the speeds between your router and the first device at your ISP.

If it's extremely low then you might try complainting to your ISP but their options are limited, ADSL is "a best-effort" service and if the line is just **** there isn't much they can do about it. Moving to a "fiber" (really fiber to the cabinet) package will likely result in much higher sync speeds if it's available in your area but will obviously cost more.

Next you should try using some speed test sites. If they give a much lower result then your sync speed there is probablly a congestion issue in your area. Moving to another ISP may or may not help depending on whether your area is LLU or not and how congested the different networks are.

You say it's slow even on wired when the kids start using their kit. That suggests that the problem is not limited wireless bandwidth.

You should check what your kids have running on their machines. Bittorrent can seriously cripple an internet connection because it's use of multiple TCP connections makes it very agressive in taking bandwidth. A traffic-shaping router may help but you will need someone who knows how to set it up properly. Also virus checks are strongly reccomended.

NO NO NO? Bit over the top. I said its a generic term which is used, and it is, by end users and suppliers. Everyone calls them routers, they are sold as routers. As said it is misleading.

he says no no no, then goes on to call it a router himself anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back