Extension - building ontop of soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started clearing the area ready for footings to be dug for my new ground floor extension, a test hole revealed a 4inch PVC soil pipe coming from the internal stack in corner of the house straight out and across the garden.

The problem I have is this pipe is directly under where the one strip footings need to be. What are my options, can I build over the pipe (bridging it).

The pipe runs along the actual length of the footing not crossing it (which I believe is common and not a problem).

Sponsored Links
This pipe, is it a brown/orange sort of colour, is it rain water or sewage?

This pipe, is it a brown/orange sort of colour, is it rain water or sewage?

It's a 4inch orange PVC pipe, I believe it's the soil/sewage pipe that connects to the bottom of the internal (boxed in) stack in the corner of the kitchen.
Thanks

The only advice I could give is to find a pub where the Irish ground workers spend their hard earned cash and get them to fix it. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
The pipe runs along the actual length of the footing not crossing it (which I believe is common and not a problem).
This is the worst case scenario and could be real headache.

How deep is the pipe?

Have you exposed the pipe all the way along?

Does it join another pipe or head for a manhole cover?

Have you exposed the pipe all the way along?

Does it join another pipe or head for a manhole cover?

I've exposed it for a run of 4m from the house which is more than I need for the footings (3.6m) and have not discovered any branch, junctions etc.. and there's no obvious signs of a manhole cover in my property.

Thanks
Ash

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back