Extension does not have joist hangers, problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After a rotten floor following shower leak, we now have a portion of the kitchen ceiling down, and the builder who looked at it said there were no joist hangers. It is an extended part of the house, probably around 12 years since extended by the previous owners.

The joists (the small parts we can see) are simply nailed to each other.

Should they have been fitted with hangers, and is the fact that they have no hangers a problem?

What do you think? Thanks. Here a the pic of the portion of ceiling showing the joists:

Sponsored Links
Any builders, or anyone have any advice on this one, before just just cover it with plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Its all down to span of joists, load on joists and number of nails used..
Common sense says a 4m spanning joist taking the bath as loading with 2 nails is not adequate.. but with 30 nails it may be fine..

You show one end of the "joists" - retrofitting hangers to one end would only provide a little bearing.

However, are those 2" x 4" or 2" x 3"'s actually joists or simply noggins? Do the "joists" actually span the room - if so, what is the span measurement?
The 2" x 6"(?) appears to be the true joist.

The whole carpentry set-up appears well amateurish - with signs of water damage still showing and no chemical treatment apparent?

Toe-nailing in some long screws, or screwing some supporting ledgers below might help. At least to prevent squeaking.

You show one end of the "joists" - retrofitting hangers to one end would only provide a little bearing.

However, are those 2" x 4" or 2" x 3"'s actually joists or simply noggins? Do the "joists" actually span the room - if so, what is the span measurement?
The 2" x 6"(?) appears to be the true joist.

The whole carpentry set-up appears well amateurish - with signs of water damage still showing and no chemical treatment apparent?

Toe-nailing in some long screws, or screwing some supporting ledgers below might help. At least to prevent squeaking.

Ree, I am not sure of the terminology. From what I can see the 'vertical' joists seem to be every 2 foot or so nailed to the horizontal joists. They all feel solid, and do not move with weight. I obviously do not want to take the ceiling down, etc, so I was only asking because this portion of ceiling is already down, and wondered if it was worth fitting the hanger.

The joist you can see, the horizontal one has an inch of rot at the bottom, a foot wide where the water was dripping, although the other 3/4's at the top of it is sound, so we have sistered some timber to support it, and it is on top of a steel beam. I was thinking of injecting some wood hardener into the inch of rot now it has been sistered - not sure that would do any help to anything.

Regarding the chemical treatment, all accessible wood has had 4 coats of wet/dry-rot/woodworm treatment, and that picture was taken after 2 coats of treatment. I have installed today 18mm marine ply to act as the base for the new shower, which will sit across the beams and does seem solid enough.

There are no vertical members in the pic?
However, hangers and support are irrelevant just so long as the shower base platform doesn't squeak or tremor with weight.

If you leave the wet rot in, treated or untreated, it will continue to rot, and possibly eventually attract dry rot spores.

Chemical treatment should be sprayed into all joins, nooks and crannies.
Dont cover up until the shower base is in and the whole set up has been well tested for leaks and creaks.

Hi Ree,

By vertical, I mean looking at the image, the joist running from top to bottom of the picture, onto the one running horizontal. It is just screwed in to the horizontal joist.

Yes, we did spray the chemical in, and actually soaked everywhere we could get to, and even areas we could not see (spray obviously does this).

The leak will be stopped, as we are fitting a Coram leak proof shower pod, so I am fairly confident the moisture won't return, but yes, we will check everything once installed, from below, before replacing the ceiling.

Thanks for your comments, appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back