extension lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is going to sound like a silly question to you electrical experts. I have a single socket extension lead with 2 metres of cable, it is rated as 5 amps, if I wanted to plug in an appliance with a 13 amp rating why can't I just put a 13 amp fuse in the extension lead plug? What sort of risk would that cause?

Sponsored Links
The more current flowing in the wire the hotter it gets.

Extreme case is the nice cherry red hot element in a toaster. or the wite hot wire in a lamp....

Some 5 amp cable might carry 13 amps with out getting too warm. Other 5amp cable may really be on the limit and get very hot at 13 amps.

But the big risk is the terminals and the connections in the socket. If they are overloaded then they can get very hot, hot enough to burn.

If you are always there to turn it off when it starts to burn then the risks are small. Leave it un-attended and the risks are very high.

That's the risk. Pop down to the shops and buy a good quality 13 amp extension lead. Or a fire extinguisher.

Hello

The fuse is in place mainly to protect the cable from over heating, upgrading the fuse could cause the cable to overheat if the appliances draw to much current.

Unusual to find an extension with a 5 amp fuse though?

Be best to buy a extension rated with a 13amp fuse to be on the safe side.

weird iv never seen a 5amp extension lead before, before you put a 13amp fuse in check at the cable size on the extension lead first it may not be big enough to take 13amp max.

Sponsored Links
I know this is going to sound like a silly question to you electrical experts. I have a single socket extension lead with 2 metres of cable, it is rated as 5 amps, if I wanted to plug in an appliance with a 13 amp rating why can't I just put a 13 amp fuse in the extension lead plug? What sort of risk would that cause?

Homemade?

possibly not, I have a 5A extension reel, made by a known brand only rated at 5A unwound, gets used in the caravan as a lighing exetension for the awning, otherwise cant see the point.

I also have a 10A reel, 3A unwound

I have a 5 amp JoJo extension reel, one of the sockets is very intermittent & the flex is very stiff at the plug end - I suspect a higher current appliance was responsible for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back