Extension not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tapped off the master and run to a new socket but it is not working :(

Is there an electrical test I can do on the wires to see if there is any current coming down the line :?:

Sponsored Links
voltage test you will be looking for 50v dc, but i wouldn't bother, chances are its a bad / poor connection. you have wired it in paralel havent you?

yes and no.

it is right but unless you make a good connection it wont work. you should connect to the screw terminal side of the master socket, and of course strip the wires. (sorry but i am here not there)

how did you connect the other end, and of course they are the same colours at both ends? (seen that done)

Sponsored Links
When you say tapped off the master socket,,,,,from where......you should not go off the screw terminals,take off the front plate of the nte( master socket) termiante wires white/blue on number 2 blue/white on no5 and orange/white on number 3 ( bell wire) .......but are you using a krona tool??

there is a debate over that.

phone provider is supposed to use krone connections leaving you to use screw connections

breezer said:

phone provider is supposed to use krone connections leaving you to use screw connections

No debate

The incoming (drop wire) to the NTE is often a type not suitable for IDC ( punch down ) connections and it therefore screw terminal to the fixed part of the NTE (master socket)

The punch down connections on the removable front plate of the NTE ( master socket ) are the ONLY places a customer is permitted to make connections to provice internal extension wiring.

breezer said:

:?: :?: :?: :?:

The NTE5 sockets were designed to answer that debate. They are a socket within a socket, split into three parts.

1. The front plate is for use by the customer to connect additional wiring to extra sockets or equipment via the IDC connectors.

2. The centre plate is the maintenance boundary between the network suppliers wiring and the customers' wiring, and provides a disconnection and test point (the socket the front plate plugs into) at the end of the network suppliers responsibility, and before any of the customers' own wiring. It's a bit like like a gas/ electricity meter in that respect - it's up to you what you connect to your side of it, but the service supplier can get very upset if you tap into the supply before the meter!

3. The back box is ....er.... a back box. It contains the network suppliers connections ONLY.

Tickly T is correct,also I have found a few posts that are giving incorrect advice regards colour codes on the wiring,the correct code is Blue with small white band 2/White with small blue band 5/Orange with small white band 3.It does not matter if other colours are used as long as they are terminated on the same terminal numbers in the master socket as the extension socket,But the colours I have mentioned are the norm for connecting sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back