Extension of a 10mm² earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Last year, I removed the bottom kitchen cupboards to allow for damp proof work to be carried out. Upon removing these cupboards I found that there is a 10mm² earth (green/yellow) cable that was wedged under one of the kitchen unit's feet. I can only assume this was connected to the water mains before the kitchen extension was carried out (prior to me buying the house).

Now that the damp has gone and other work has been completed I want to correct this lost looking earth cable before putting the cupboards back. I'm thinking that the correct thing to do (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to extend this earth cable with same thickness to connect (or bond) to the water mains where it is located now, about 4m away.

If this is the right idea then what amp junction box should I use but also the other question is... will a joined up earth cable be ok or should it be a one piece cable from water mains to the consumer unit?

Thanks for your time :)

Jay

Sponsored Links
If it isn't easy to replace the complete run, then yes you can join the cable, but you should crimp or solder the joint.

It's probably worth checking what you are doing by finding the main earthing terminal and the other end of this cable, and checking for continuity with a meter or battery and torch bulb.

If it was on the water main, then it should go back to the MET (Main earth terminal), not the consumer unit. If it can be done without much disruption you should replace it with one single run, but being realistic it is acceptable to joint it, but as has been said this must be done using either a crimp (with a proper ratchetting compression tool), or soldering - a junction box is not acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Good point - I forgot you can use the earthing bar in the CU as the MET (subject to 542.4.2)...

i was gonna buy a pack of butt crimps today and get the job done; would that have been ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back