Extension Planning questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and girls! new to the forum!

I am planning a single storey rear extension to a 1930's semi detached house. it is replacing a conservatory and a little more. but I am struggling for anyone to give me a straight answer in what order to get things done in! can you help???

1. I have had plans drawn up and submitted them for a permitted development certificate.
2. send them off to get the calcs done on steels.
3. apply to building control for the relevant docs.
4. party wall notices to be issued.
5. start!

my problem is I had a builder round tonight who advised on what he thought needed doing with steels which I don't agree with subject to a friends extension and he says it needs doing to building controls standards. but how can building control dictate what steels need to go in if they have already been calculated - do I have to pay again???
can I issue party wall notices sooner so that I can commence work sooner as well??

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks
dave

Sponsored Links
You can calculate steels, but that does not mean that the calculations are accurate or the steel beam suitable, or the walls will hold the steel up.

Building control will either agree with your calculations or not. If not you need to redo them.

You can issue PW notices when you like if you have the relevant information to pass on as part of the notice

There is no such thing as a permitted development certificate. The whole idea of permitted development is that no plans need to be submitted and no approval is needed

You need to ask all these to whoever did your plans. Its part of his job to tell you what happens

Thanks for the quick reply. I meant to say a certificate of lawfulness. All the plans fall within the permitted development criteria so I can just get on with it, I just wanted it for peace of mind in the future.

So it's down to building control to agree or disagree with the proposed steels then?

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Yes, building control to agree

Bear in mind that there are proper structural engineers who design beams economically (ie as small as possible) and then there are pretend engineers who have downloaded a pirated software package and put in a few figures and out pops a calculation for a massive beam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back