extension plans...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am drawing up my own plans for extension (yes i am capable) the only thing i do not want to attempt is the roof design and lintel design. i am hoping to have a lintel spanning about 5 metres across the middle of my kitchen extension to take the upper floor and roof... i am not sure if this is possible deos anyone know???

also who would be the best person to give the plans to , to design roof?

the lintels calcs are going to structural eng.r , dothey do roofs as well?

help

matt

Sponsored Links
a good architect should do, they allways have the roof in mind when designing the walls.

the SE is the man for the job - particularly if its complicated (which is where the architect would send it if its anything other than simple)

cut out the middle man and save the handling fee ;)

cheers guys....

out of interest would you know if a lintel in my kitchen extension about 1/2 way across would be able to take the weight of the whole of the upstairs extension. my reason for this is that i want to extend out 3m , this is ok for single storey but for the upper floor i can only come out 2m...hence a massive lintel to take the second floor.

sound feasible??

Sponsored Links
Anything is feasible at a cost. It may take a large steel member to support the load, thus more cost. Also 5m span will mean heavy member so may need to be spliced together in 2 sections insitu(unless you can crane it into place).

Structural Engineer will sort out the roof and steel sizes.

R2 D2 had a small steel member, but it rusted :cry: :oops: May the farce be with you.

@matt73

How did it go with the support beam, what did you use in the end, lintel or steel beam for the 5m span? I know they don't do lintels that long...
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back