Extension re-built but builder is saying no paperwork needed ? Is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello out there, I'm at a bit of a loss and hoping someone knowlegable may be able to give me some pointers.
A local building company rebuilt my kitchen extension last year.
The original one-storey structure was single skinned and always freezing. The new structure is essentially the same size, but slightly extended to allow for double-skinned walls/insulation. An extra window was also added. When the orginal building was demolished it was discovered there were no foundations.
The new build itself is great but the the builder is being evasive about the completion paperwork. His orginal quote stated he'd liaise with building control. All I have at present is an electrical certificate of compliance. I've checked on my local council building regs site and nothing has been registered. My problem is I don't know exactly what I should be asking the builder for, if anything? Any advice really appreciated. Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the extension would have been treated as a totally new extension and as such would have required Building Regulations approval and built to current standards.

Sounds like the builder didn't bother. Ask him if he applied for Building Regulations Approval, either by a "full plans submission" or a "building notice" and you want a copy of the "approval notice" and/or the "completion certificate"?

It would certainly need building regulations approval - which is concerned with the structural stability, sound and heat insulation, water resistance, sanitation and fire safety amongst other things.

The good thing, is that this can be applied for retrospectively and the work checked now that it is built. Obviously, some things may need to be opened up for checking, and things that are not right put right. But all this should be at your builders expense.

You will need the b/regs completion certificate when you come to sell, and your home insurance could be invalid without one.

You probably wouldn't have needed planning permission, but research "permitted development" rights, and compare your extension to the size and location criteria.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both Wessex101 and Woody. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It's great to have some advice and guidance going forward and to know that all is not lost if the worst comes to it and no paperwork has been submitted. Thanks again folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back