Extension socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help please. I am trying to make up a moblie extension lead for the phone, it already has the plug attached but I can't work out where the cables connect at the socket ie 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc The colours I have got are white, green, pinky red, and blue all solid colours not blue/white ,orange/white etc,
many thanks john

Sponsored Links
The standard connections to the socket should match up as follows:

2 - Red
3 - Blue
4 - Green
5 - White

But this will be the "flat" flexible cord with stranded conductors, so be aware that if you try to terminate it into IDC connections the result will not be long-term reliability, as IDC is designed for solid conductors.

Unfortunately, it's also not at all uncommon these days to find extension cords where the sequence has been reversed at the plug and the original socket. Looking down on the top of the plug as if you were about to insert it into a jack (i.e. contacts uppermost, cord coming toward you, locking tab on the right), then red should be on the right, white on the left. If it's the other way round, then you would need to reverse the sequence shown above to end up with the correct connections, i.e.:

2 - White
3 - Green
4 - Blue
5 - Red

Many thanks for that, it is how you said the flat cord type. It is only a standby extension so it will not be used much.
I will attempt to do it tomorrow with the new idc tool I have just purchased.

Do not rely on it working. The stranded wire in flat cable will not connect reliably if at all to IDC ( punch down ) terminals.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that, and you are correct in what you say, it just won't bare the wire from the sheathing, I will just buy an extension, which is what I should have done in the first place, I had all the parts so I thought I would give it a go and learn something else,but you can't win em all..
Thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back