Extension wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm doing a two floor extension on my house in the past I have done loads loads of 240v wiring in the past but just would like some reassurance. A lot of the walls have been knocked out witch had double sockets in so was thinking break in to the ring main at the sockets and carry the ring main on to further sockets? Would this be ok as long as it continues as a ring?

Sponsored Links
Yes, provided it is actually a ring to start with and is tested to confirm that it still is after the alterations.
If it doesn't have RCD protection now, this must be added.
You also need to consider the total load for the modified circuit and whether it will be suitable for whatever loads are likely to be used in the new rooms.
Other types of circuit are available.

On my consumer unit the ring main is on 4 different rcd so should be fine and I'm really only adding extra wiring so that the sockets can be moved from the walls I took out to be reinstated in the new rooms the house isn't that big and it's only the sockets for the bedrooms

Sponsored Links
Just rethought what I put my house is rcd protected and what I meant is I have 4 circuit breakers for the ring main

Just rethought what I put my house is rcd protected and what I meant is I have 4 circuit breakers for the ring main
That is still exceptionally unlikley (and, if true, wrong) - so we do need to see a piccie! Are you sure that there are not 4 ring circuits? What are the breakers labelled??

Kind Regards, John

Ok I understand I double check and take some pics and post tomorrow when I'm back at the house.
Thanks again for your input

Hi guys I'm doing a two floor extension on my house
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say to Building Control, or what did you allow them to by default assume, would be the way that you would ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P?

Nobody here is a policeman, but be advised that if you told them one thing and then you go and do another there is a very real risk that they will refuse you a completion certificate. Also you should note that electrical work being notifiable/not-notifiable in its own right is irrelevant. ALL electrical work is required by law to comply with Part P, and Building Control will take an interest in it as part of this building project, no matter what it it, even if it were only adding a fused spur. If they are going to issue a certificate to say that your building work complied with the Building Regulations they will want to know that all of it did.

Hi thanks for your reply, my plan is to simply run all the cables and then get it checked before it gets boarded over.

How do I post pictures?

Hi thanks for your reply, my plan is to simply run all the cables and then get it checked before it gets boarded over.
That is so not how it works.

And carrying on as if that is how it works will result in nothing but heartache.

Checked by whom? Do they know yet that they are going to be checking it? Do you know what kind of documentation they will issue?

Hi guys I'm doing a two floor extension on my house
Which means you must have applied, STG, for Building Regulations approval.

And therefore you must have told them how you would ensure that the work will comply with Part A, Part B, Part C, ..etc.. , and Part P.

So what did you say to Building Control, or what did you allow them to by default assume, would be the way that you would ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P? Was it really "I shall simply run all the cables and then get it checked before it gets boarded over"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back