1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Exterior Artex!

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by chris76, 13 Dec 2005.

1. chris76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have just built a garden room covering the exterior with shuttering ply. I then applied, what I thought the rest of my house is covered in, an exterior type artex!!
    I stippled it and it looked pretty good, I even painted it, it matched the rest of the house well, then........
    It rained!:eek:
    That's when I checked the bag and found it was actually normal artex (thought it was a bit smooth when I mixed it)

The water is just soaking through so it's got to come off, but what can I replace it with?
    Is there an external covering that I can stipple and paint to match the rest of the house?

Please help, (remember it's the season of goodwill to all men - and idiots!)
    Chris76 :oops:

2. dabaldie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    could always just use normal artex and use a masonry paint to waterproof it..
    sounds like a bodge but i used it patch a bit of my garden wall 3 years ago.. no probs.

3. Steve

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    textured render? my friend's terraced house is covered in white painted textured render i think. Not artex anyway!

4. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Something High Build..can`t remember :oops: but a mate`s mobile home(holiday one) is covered with it.so is the rest of the site..........perhaps try a google....OMAR make these "mobile Homes" amongst others

5. chris76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's it Nige! that's what I need but what's it called?
    I'll check it out further
    Thanks
    Chris76

6. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    :idea: ask Zampa on the decorating forum :idea:

7. Zampa

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There are a couple of high build paints around that are easy to get hold of...

Brollac makes one..or used to but a lot of their products are being phased out now...sandtex also make one which is very good.

Youl need a special roller to apply it and you'l probably have to prime the wall first.

Johnstones may also make one but im not sure..

Good luck....

8. chris76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Many thanks you guys, I've got loads of idea's now, I just need a bit of a dry spell to get in the mood to tackle it :p

chris76

9. Third_Eye

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom