Exterior Light from Internal Lighting Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've prepared a wired circuit as part of the installation of an exterior light powered by an internal switch. I ultimately plan to get it checked by an electrician but before I do I thought it best to check the fundamentals are correct.

I have experience of wiring switches and adding internal lights both from loops and junction boxes.

Essentially I cut into the downstairs lighting circuit. I have added a spur using a three terminal junction box. That spur leads to a four terminal junction box.

That junction box has a cable going to a switch and the exterior light. I am 99% certain I have wired this junction box correctly including ensuring the switch twin core and earth is treated as too live cores (one core I have wrapped in black tape to remind me that it is live).

The switch is a standard one-way switch with an earth terminal in the corner of the box. The exterior light is a twin core and earth which I have matched up with the wires from the circuit.

i know I shouldn't be once complete I tried the light. I am certain it switched on for a second and then went off. Every time I switch the switch I can hear the detector click but there is no light. It is a light detecting exterior light which I have checked the settings.

I have now disconnected the spur from the original circuit and will call in an electrician. In the meantime I would be interested to know where, if at all, I went wrong.

Thanks.

PS. I know many will simply state I should have called an electrician but finding someone who can do a job within the month is proving difficult....

Sponsored Links
I agree. Using a test indicator (multimeter or test lamps - NOT A NEON SCREWDRIVER!) You should be able to test that you have 230v between live and neutral at the light fitting.

If you can hear a click when you walk past then per the above it sounds like the lamp is dead or it may not be properly fitted into the spring contacts.
Dont touch the glass lamp with your fingers - you'll leave a grease deposit on the lamp and this will fry and knacker the lamp.

PS. You should mark that conductor with brown sleeving or tape if it is a live. If you mark it black then the next person will think its a neutral.

PPS i hope that junction box is readily accessible for inspection and not buried under the carpet!!

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

We have an electrician coming over to review the install. In the meantime based on what I said; any ideas why the lamp might have blown?

In the meantime I've changed the wrap on the live switch core from black to brown. The junction boxes are also accessible.

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
New lamps can blow quite easily - bad packaging, cheap make , bad connection, defective fitting. Check the lamp is fitted properly (halogens are notorious for not sitting on the contacts properly and it's not easy to see).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back