Exterior Ply

Reaction score
I need some timber sheets for an outdoors project, and I'm struggling to find something suitable.

A visited the local DIY stores and the Plywood rated for exterior use seems crap. The laminated sides seem to separate and peel off really easily, and I can't imagine it holding up when I cut it, so I've resisted buying anything so far.

I will be painting it - could I just use regular good quality structural plywood sealed with paint? Or is this likely to deteriorate rapidly in the rain?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate your guidance.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't. Any damage to the paint i's going to result in a much bigger issue for you. I have always found marine ply from my local wood yard pretty good but then I don't know how good it must be for your project. I wouldnt buy from a diy store on price alone despite the questionable quality

Sponsored Links
I seen and used a full bale of 13mm marine ply from a reputable hard ware distributor and it had bubbles and the laminates were not bonded that well.
Chinese it turned out!

Which is why so many buildings have gone over to cement board, I'm sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back