Exterior sliding aluminium door will not lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have an old (1980's I think) sliding door. The lock (single hook style) no longer engages and the lock mechanism is completely enclosed within the door frame, it seems that maybe the door has dropped. A friend managed a quick fix (by lowering the lock mechanism on the fixed side of the frame), but that is misaligned asgain so the door will not lock.

Do you think the door can still be repaired? If so, what costs might I expect if the door needs to be removed etc in order to access the faulty lock etc?

Thanks in advance.

M

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem/door type.

It turned out the the wheels of the door were breaking up- the whole door was dropping.
Trying to fix the lock was a mistake as i needed to either replace the wheels or whole door.

you can buy replacement wheels quite easily with the advent of the net.
I did mine about 20 years ago so it was hard to source and the window was past it's best.

several youtube videos to help.

It is scary how easy a patio door comes off!

Sponsored Links
Ebay is cheap for wheels. Got to take the door off to check the sizes though.
The bearings may have worn down a bit but still have a few years in them yet. There should be a screw visible on each wheel when you look under the ends of the door (possibly hidden by a small plastic cap on the frame. A few turns clockwise should raise the door.

Do both sides equally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back