Exterior Wood Glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im currently in the process of making some garden benches out of some railway sleepers, I am at the stage of gluing the legs to the seat via a dado joint, as pictured but turn 45 degrees left.
What would be the best brand and type of glue to use to bind these two pieces together.
I will be strengthening the joints with 2 angle brackets but need to give it maximum strength with a good quality external wood glue......
Cheers in advance View media item 1299

Sponsored Links
Polyurethene, epoxy (west systems) or Titebond 3 will all work with the epoxy being the best.

Re strength I would be tempted to put some coach screws in from the outside edge to pull the joint up tight.

Jason

Wouldn't those (IKEA type) flat pack locking nut type fixings - with any exterior grade glue work really well here?

Sponsored Links
Just to expand on my nails v screws into end grain statement:

You could buy a 9 inch coach screw and pilot drill the timber and counter bore for the shank etc. and i am sure you would get a good fix with it but would it really be that much better than a similar length nail? I am fairly sure it would be more expense and work.

I cant honestly think of an application where a screw would be better than a nail into end grain even large size roofing joints would get closed up with nails.

I could be wrong...

Hi Guys,
Cheers for the replies so far, i think i may have mis-explained.
I have a 2.4 mtr x 5" depth sleeper that i am making into a bench. I have cut out 2 rebates which are 2.5" deep and 5" wide and this is where the legs will be slotted home. Imagine the picture i posted as sleepers and turned 45 degrees left.
I don't intend to drive any nails or bolts through the seat into the legs, i just need a strong exterior adhesive and any tips on how to give the bench maximum strength and ensuring fixing invisibility.
I think i'm almost there in terms of fixing and i will post a picture when all is complete.
Thanks for the interest so far

As promised, managed to complete the sleeper benches and following the advice i have now installed them and they are sat happy in the sun.

Again, as promised heres some pics of the final result, Camera has somewhat darkened the finish though...
Thanks to all again
Before
After
After

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back