External ducting for cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put in a cooker hood that ducts to the outside but the only option is to go through a wall that is very near to the neighbours decking area. He isn't very happy about it when I spoke to him and I was wondering if I can go though the wall in the same place and duct externally to get the cooking smells further away from next door. Regardless of laws I don't want to upset him ! Is this ok to do and how is the best way to do it?
Any help and suggestion greatly appreciated - really don't want to use a recirculating hood.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sure you can. Like soil pipe, you can put an elbow on it and turn it upwards like a chimney that vents above window level, or you could run it sideways. You will need more power for a longer run, but the manufacturer's catalogue will explain.

Modern powerful hoods often have a 125mm or even a 150mm vent, so check the size of the hood you are looking at before buying the hood and duct. I like Elica hoods and canopies.

Apart from small and low-cost hoods, they seem to usually have the vent on the top rather than the back these days, so put it high enough that you will not bang your head on it while cooking.

Plastic duct can be painted with non-drip gloss, but try to find one in a colour that won't need painting.

Unless you are planning a chip shop or curry house, I doubt your cooking smells could be considered a nuisance.

You will need to provide a drain for the condensation that will occur in the duct that is outside the house in cold air. Either have the far end of the duct lower than the hole in the wall and let it drip out. This would create a damp patch / stain if just dripping onto a concrete path or onto a wall. If the end is higher than the hole in the wall then a condensation trap and a small drain pipe to take the condensate to a suitable place will be needed.

Sponsored Links
I have put a hayrack of flowers (like a hanging basket) to catch winter drips from a flue vent.

Excellent advise, thanks everybody. Sounds like this is the best plan to me. Hopefully the neighbor will be happy with that too. I will have a look at the Elica hoods JohnD and check the ratings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back