External power to 12v CCTV camera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a couple of WiFi CCTV cameras that are weatherproof. They came with adaptors that plug into regular plug sockets. If I wanted to mount these outdoors I would not want to run the cable from an indoor plug socket and through a hole in the wall to the camera - and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a safe and legal approach either.

NOTE: I'm a DIYer, not an electrician.

So, how would I hard-wire in the power for such a camera? Could I take a fused spur from an existing socket, into a wall-mounted 240/12V transformer, and then run the cable through the wall from there?

I assume this would be classed as Notifiable due to being outdoors?

Sponsored Links
What do the instructions say?

It seems odd to have outdoor fittings with plugs.

Outdoor work is no longer notifiable in England; it still is in Wales; Scotland different.
So much for the United Kingdom.

What do the instructions say?

It seems odd to have outdoor fittings with plugs.

The cameras aren't with me right now, so I might be wrong about the outdoor claims of them. They were cheap and probably not ideal for the job - having an easily removable power plug isn't the best security system anyway!

But the question remains, for a 12v camera how would one hard-wire the power to it? Even a 240v camera poses a similar question, but I guess the fused spur would suffice.

Outdoor work is no longer notifiable in England; it still is in Wales; Scotland different.
So much for the United Kingdom.

That's interesting to know. So, I may be able to do this job myself then with the right research and kit.

I would extend the 12 volt wire; you can get DC power plug extensions and also power plug to screw terminal adapters
https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3699
https://www.kenable.co.uk/?cPath=212_301 (scroll down to Easy Wire Power)

and use a small weatherproof adaptable box to house the inevitable connections. Mount the camera either adjacent or onto the box.

moston-manchester-cctv-close-up.jpg

Sponsored Links
If we are talking about a wall-wart, it may not be advisable to extend the cable by much.

It would be similar to a bell as far as the transformer is concerned.
They are sometimes put near the consumer unit and sometimes on the wall behind the bell/whatever.
The power could be taken from a socket, with fused connection unit or light.
Upstairs socket may not be too far from camera position.

Yes, you may do the work yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back