external rendering on breeze block wall??? HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

we have lived in our house for two years and are having to pull the external rendering off cos it was cracked and pushing away from the wall all the way up.

we have just pulled some off to find breeze blocks underneath. this is an external wall of an added extension to our house (done by previous owners). we have all the planning permissions and plans for this extension in our house pack but wanted to know this:-

1. how can we render it properly again and make sure it stays? any advice on rendering on breeze block?
2. is rendering on breeze block actually allowed? why would they even build external extension walls in breeze block? should we approach the council? can we sue/get compensation? surely it wouldnt have been passed by an inspector?

ta
diane

Sponsored Links
Our local BC has no objections to render being applied to solid dense or cellular dense concrete blocks, but it wouldn't be a good idea to have thermolite/celcon/durox blocks rendered because I think they would be subject to very high suction which could affect the end result.

Some of the other guys on these forums would be able to tell you more about this but if the exterior skin isn't thermolite then it could just be bad rendering/preperation that has caused the failure.

thanks for your reply shenks. well, at least i know its not illegal then!

anyone any advice on how to render it properly this time?

I'll leave the in depth replies to some of the other trade guys on here, but if you do a search on the forum you should get some good background info about scratch coats, waterproofing agents, etc.

Sponsored Links
Bad? Generally not recommended on thermolite (or so my regular plasterer/rendering bloke tells me). Possibly this is why you have encountered the failure of your rendering.

Over to the guys who actually do these jobs instead of me who just gets somebody else to do them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back