External socket on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Was just wondered is it possible to wire an external ip double socket directly into the ring main .
Having the garage re-wired and wanted to know if the external socket could be wired directly into the ring instead of running it as a spur
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Was just wondered is it possible to wire an external ip double socket directly into the ring main .
Yes. It is a ring final circuit (ring main is not the correct term).

Having the garage re-wired and wanted to know if the external socket could be wired directly into the ring instead of running it as a spur
Yes, but no benefit - it just uses more cable.

In addition to what has been said, it would be advisable to install a double-pole switch in the house in the feed to the new socket. 'External' sockets have a habit of filling with water and/or condensation, resulting in RCDs tripping, so it's wise to have a means of totally isolation the exterior socket should that happens, so that you don't 'lose' the whole of the ring to which it is connected.

Kind Regards, John

I wouldn't run it as part of the ring. Pointless and a newsense if it gets water in it

It's good to have an fcu inside to isolate it if it gets wet, but not as critical if it's only your garage ?

Although if you have a freezer or washing machine in there it would be worth it.

Sponsored Links
It's good to have an fcu inside to isolate it if it gets wet, but not as critical if it's only your garage ?
As I wrote, whilst I agree that a means of DP isolation is desirable, I would personally favour a DP switch in this situation - an FCU will (at least theoretically!) 'unnecessarily' limit the supply to the double socket in the garage to 13A total.

Of course, if there is any prospect of the OP wanting to add a second socket in the garage (as a spur from the house ring), he would have to have an FCU, and would hence have to accept the 13A limit.

Kind Regards, John

In addition to what has been said, it would be advisable to install a double-pole switch in the house in the feed to the new socket. 'External' sockets have a habit of filling with water and/or condensation, resulting in RCDs tripping, so it's wise to have a means of totally isolation the exterior socket should that happens, so that you don't 'lose' the whole of the ring to which it is connected.

Kind Regards, John

The garage has its own cu with 40a rcd 6a & 32a mcb, so it would only trip the supplies to them and not the house .

While I'm here I also plan on having a spur off one of the double sockets to and fcu , which will then run 10-12 meters of 4.0mm swa cable down the garden to supply a pond pump and possibly a lawnmower , can anybody see any issues with doing that ? And if I put a shed by the pond at some point in the future would there be a way of using this supply for a light and socket own there or would I need to have a new circuit installed ? Thanks

I wouldn't run it as part of the ring. Pointless and a newsense if it gets water in it

Although if you have a freezer or washing machine in there it would be worth it.
Hmmm this is a good point I would have the dryer and freezer in there :)

The garage has its own cu with 40a rcd 6a & 32a mcb, so it would only trip the supplies to them and not the house .
I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that you want to supply that CU from a spur from your house ring? If so, you would have to have a FCU in the feed, limiting the total curent in the garage to 13A, somewhat making nonsense of the 6A and 32A MCBs. Also, there is no guarantee that, in the event of a fault, the devices in the garage would trip before those in the house.

Kind Regards, John

I'm a bit confused now. Are you saying that you want to supply that CU from a spur from your house ring? If so, you would have to have a FCU in the feed, limiting the total curent in the garage to 13A, somewhat making nonsense of the 6A and 32A MCBs. Also, there is no guarantee that, in the event of a fault, the devices in the garage would trip before those in the house.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the confusion , the garage cu has its own supply off the house cu

Basically the consumer unit in the garage and all the wiring was very battered and old , so decided to have it all rewired , I than found out that the supply from the house cu to the garage cu was only wired in 1.5mm swa cable :( ,
I have dug all that swa up and had it replaced with 6mm swa , had a new garage cu installed with 40a rcd , 6a mcb (for lighting ) 32a mcb for the ring final .
The ring final has not been installed yet , hence my original question wether the external socket could be wired into the circuit .
God I made this a whole lot more complicated than it needed to be ! Sorry

The freezer has been in the garage for a few years with no issues so I assume it's ok

Sorry for the confusion , the garage cu has its own supply off the house cu Basically the consumer unit in the garage and all the wiring was very battered and old , so decided to have it all rewired , I than found out that the supply from the house cu to the garage cu was only wired in 1.5mm swa cable :( , I have dug all that swa up and had it replaced with 6mm swa , had a new garage cu installed with 40a rcd , 6a mcb (for lighting ) 32a mcb for the ring final . The ring final has not been installed yet , hence my original question wether the external socket could be wired into the circuit . God I made this a whole lot more complicated than it needed to be ! Sorry
No problem - I think I'm getting there :) Are you saying that the ring you were talking about is (or will be) a ring in the garage, fed from the garage CU. If so, then the original answers stand - you can run an external socket as a spur from that ring, although I would still advise a DP switch. Where is this 'external socket' going to be? ... or am I still confused?
The freezer has been in the garage for a few years with no issues so I assume it's ok
Fair enough - but if it gets very cold in the garage, it could stop working.

Kind Regards, John

No problem - I think I'm getting there :) Are you saying that the ring you were talking about is (or will be) a ring in the garage, fed from the garage CU. If so, then the original answers stand - you can run an external socket as a spur from that ring, although I would still advise a DP switch. Where is this 'external socket' going to be? ... or am I still confused?

Kind Regards, John

Yes the ring will be the one from the garage cu , but my plan was to install it directly into the ring circuit and not as a spur off it , the socket will be mounted on the outside of the garage wall
Thanks

Yes the ring will be the one from the garage cu , but my plan was to install it directly into the ring circuit and not as a spur off it , the socket will be mounted on the outside of the garage wall
Thanks for clarifying/confirming. That being the case, as has been said, there's really no point in including it in the ring - a spur (ideally with the DP switch I keep going on about!) would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for clarifying/confirming. That being the case, as has been said, there's really no point in including it in the ring - a spur (ideally with the DP switch I keep going on about!) would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Would this do the job ?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    248 KB · Views: 237

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back