External stop cock, what to turn? What key?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to do a heap of plumbing. One of which is replacing the internal stop cock. So I'll need to turn off the supply into the house.

The supply into the house was replaced not that long ago, and they fitted a new stop cock in the pavement. It looks like this:

GALLERY]

Which is the bit I turn? The oblong or the hex? I just tried turning the oblong thing with pliers and it felt a bit tight, so I didn't force it. Would mole grips do it?

I don't mind buying a proper key. It's not that deep, but it might be easier as I get older, if I ever need to shut the water off in an emergency. Can anybody tell from that photo what size it is?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The hex plug is removed to fit a meter into the chamber, I wouldn't touch that unless you want a fountain! Shut off should be the oblong part, and I think it may just be a quarter turn from on to off.

Thanks chaps. So is that a 'crutch pattern' key then? And there seem to be 1/2" and 3/4" keys. Measured across the short dimension?

Sponsored Links
For now, do I really need the 'proper' key. It's not very deep, so if I can get mole grips to it, is that OK?

I'd go gently with it, it's plastic so wont take much to break it. Not come across that type before, but i'd have expected it to be free enough to turn on/off with fingers only.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back