External wooden door in a UPVC frame/porch??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Seeking a bit of guidance please.

We've recently bought a house that has a UPVC porch and matching door. We don't have the money to redo the whole porch and like the extra space it gives. That said, the door is horrible and I'd like to replace it with a wooden one.

Can I put a wooden door in the pvc frame or can i put a prehung wooden door (and frame) into the pvc porch. It looks a bit like the piccy below. Grateful for any advice!

aaa_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
The cheapest an easiest option available to you is to replace it with a UPVC door that you do like.

Or if you like the aesthetics of wood go for a nice composite.

A decent wooden door would probably be as expensive if not more and would take some carpentry skills to fit in your current installation - it might not even be possible.

Wooden doors have to be painted or varnished every year to preserve them. I don't see the argument for one unless it is a period property but then if it was the previous owner is unlikely to have bolted on a UPVC porch!

A wooden porch with the matching door would be more preferable with concern to durability because a pvc porch may not stay long. But still if you're looking out for an economical one then, u can go in for pvc itself as wooden would be a bit more expensive than pvc’s. I got my door fixed with wood as i was looking for a durable one rather an economical one.If u stay in Canada, you can try visiting http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca who may help you out.

I doubt they'd be interested in helping, there wouldn't be enough money in the job to travel all the way from Canada to england!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back