extra sockets from a non-fused spur in my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a non-fused spur providing to the one single power socket in my garage. Guess it is a spur as there is only a single cable. I would like additional sockets in the garage to power a washer, tumble-dryer, freezer and occasional use of power tools. Only item that is constantly being used is the freezer. I understand only 1 socket can be supplied by a Non-Fused Spur. however would it be permissible to split the cable with a junction-box in the loft and run extra cable to a double socket, protected by a 15 or 20 am fused-connector? If so could I also run a 3rd socket for use by low-powered garden-lights also protected by a fused-connector, if so which amp? I don't want to have a new circuit fitted and rarely if ever would have all items in use at same time. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You need to find out if it is or isn't a spur, it could be a radial. Where does it originate? What size cable is it?

If it is a spur then assuming the cable is accessible in the garage you would be better off adding a FCU/FSU before the existing socket in the garage and then you can pretty much do "what you like" but there are lots of other considerations such as earthing/ RCD protection etc

Thanks for your quick reply. Cant see any identification marks on the cable as it is already pinned to the wall. however the cable clips pinning the cable to the wall are marked 2.5. The house was built in 1984 so fairly modern. Unfortunately the cable disappears thru a hole in the garage-loft and I cannot say where the other end is connected. Cheers.

Thanks for your quick reply. Cant see any identification marks on the cable as it is already pinned to the wall. however the cable clips pinning the cable to the wall are marked 2.5. The house was built in 1984 so fairly modern. Unfortunately the cable disappears thru a hole in the garage-loft and I cannot say where the other end is connected. Cheers.

Which breaker turns it off on the Consumer Unit? Does that breaker turn anything else off? Post a photo of the CU

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry new to this forum not figured out yet how to post photos. Have checked our Consumer Unit (MCB) and ALL the power sockets are controlled from 1 breaker marked NSB32 (2nd in from the right).
The cable itself looks like 2.5 as I have seen thicker cable (i.e. 3..00) hope this helps.

If you don't want to install a new circuit, then the ring final circuit will need extending.
A 13A fused spur, protecting freezer, tumble dryer, washer, power tools and the addition of garden lighting. Not really ideal.
You will require RCD protection fro this circuit if not already offered at you existing board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back