Extra sockets in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Want to put a couple of extra double sockets into my garage. Currently there is one double which appears to be fed directly from the consumer unit, presumably making this a [short] radial?

Is it ok just to extend this radial by two doubles down one side of the garage? Is this within the bounds of the Part P regs?

Normal load is freezer (the only constant) plus occasional tumble dryer and the odd power tool/lawn mower etc, never at the same time! Adding a garage door motor. Was thinking 2 sockets connected with 2.5mm2 twin and earth in mini-trunking and checking the MCU fuse is 20A

VMT

GMcD

Sponsored Links
Additions to circuits within garages is not notifiable to building controls, providing the addition does not extend to outdoor wiring.
It still needs to comply to Part P of the building regs, so is within the bounds of it, as is all domestic electrical installation. Just not notifiable.
Using the requirements of BS7671:2008(wiring regulations) will confirm compliance to to Part P.

Thanks - So OK as far as Part P is concerned and no need to notify there
fore I can do it myself.

Technically though is it OK to add the extra sockets to what appears to be a radial??

Technically it can be, but there are provisions.
This will depend on the size of the cable (CSA) and whether this socket is already a spur or not.
Also when this type or alteration/addition are made to a circuit, tests should be carried out to ensure the circuit is safe prior and after the alteration is made.
But you first have to confirm the type of circuit you have and whether the socket is not already an unfused spur, just looking like something is not good enough.

Sponsored Links
and whether this socket is already a spur or not.
How could it be a spur when it's already been stated that it's just one socket on a radial circuit from the board?
I think the point being made is that the OP said that it appears to be 'just one socket on a radial circuit from the board' - so that needs to be confirmed by investigation.

Kind Regards, John.

Currently there is one double which appears to be fed directly from the consumer unit, presumably making this a [short] radial?
How could it be a spur when it's already been stated that it's just one socket on a radial circuit from the board?
But you first have to confirm the type of circuit you have and whether the socket is not already an unfused spur, just looking like something is not good enough.

"appears and presumably", Isn't really good enough, now is it?
In my view, confirmation was needed.
I don't mind holding my hand up, if something I have posted is either incorrect or misguided, I thank those that do point it out and it is very much appreciated.
But please quote me in the context to what has been posted!
Thanks JohnW2 for pointing this out to Paul_C

Fair enough - I was taking "appears to be" as implying that the original poster had pretty much confirmed that the existing socket is just wired on a single cable from the fuse or MCB, as garage wiring tends to be quite easily traceable. If that's not the case, then I agree that it needs confirming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back